Search and replace

Moved from Trello; you can vote for this feature and see past discussion at https://trello.com/c/Ep8b6EWo/80-search-and-replace.

12 Likes

Again I new here. My most critical process is change. Tagging becomes very valuable which dynalist does admirably. But changing tag(s) is even more critical as projects, events, learning, etc pass through various stages of completion. Trello which appears to be popular on this forum attempts to do this. Evernote has a very nice feature here which one reason I continue to use for review, recap, and retagging. (although I am testing gdocs in “outline mode” which features internal linking to chapter(or header designation) and I do like. Note my recaps may have many pages of information and research. (your mileage may be different.)

I would recommend the ability to multiselect notes and bring up a dialog that lists all my tags (by my order request) and have all tags specific to these notes show a “check or unchecked status” I would then be able to delete or change, and ability to create a new tag if necessary.
I then can move multi notes to different activity status.

Just my thought

1 Like

Hi, it would definitely be good to be able to change a tag, and have all tags change at once. E.g. in Evernote a tag can be renamed, and all references are automatically using the renamed version. At the very least there should be a search and replace to rename all tags across all documents. It is impractical and time-consuming changing them one at a time.

5 Likes

Definitely agree!

1 Like

Me 3!

As a consideration: I’ve got multiple tags throughout my lists, so would need to be able to find/replace these for a Tag rename to be of any use.

Yeah, ideally there’ll be a “Rename” option when right clicking a tag. And that would pop up a dialog to change it.

1 Like

I was saying, in addition to this, you’d need Find/Replace to replace tags repeated throughout my lists. If I just rename the Tag, none of multiple tags I’ve written throughout my lists will work anymore.

Yeah, that’s what I mean, otherwise it’s pointless to rename it. Sorry I wasn’t being clear, I was talking about right clicking on a tag inside the tag pane, which represents all occurrences of that tag (that’s obvious I think, since the number of occurrences is also in the parenthesis).

Cool, that would def be nifty, but would be more to build rather than starting with something many are already asking for - find/replace, which does the same job. Just my 2c

Yeah, I agree. I was just echoing @Wayne_Smith’s point about a convenient feature to replace/replace tags.

1 Like

Again I am not sure how important find and search/replace is for most dynalist users I originally posted this request. And it still is very important to me. “Search” to me is not just a one to many relationship but a many to many relationship. I use dynalist as scheduling tool. (and I like it very much) Context (what, who, where, supportref, etc) and status (nextaction, recap, rewrite, etc) becomes very important in documenting, doing, and filing) and can only be accomplished (IMO) by tags and (better yet) nesting tags.

To that point i have found a somewhat type of workaround. Documents are my projects. Bring up a document. In win (ctrl a) and copy all document items and paste into a new note in evernote.
from there use evenote: Edit>Find & Replace>Replace within note. Follow dialog prompts and one can find and then replace all tags that must change. Once changed one can then recopy back to dynalist.
A bit cumbersome but works. (note!) could not get this to work for gdocs on a pc. hope this helps those with similar challenges as mine
regards, bnp

2 Likes

Did this feature request for a Search and Replace function ever make it to roadmap? This would be a great feature to easily tag, change tags or remove tags easily.

It’s there on the roadmap and highly requested :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes. I would really benefit from a fully featured search and replace functionality. Currently if I need to replace something my method is to export a OPML file, edit it in a text editor (e.g. Notepad++, Sublime, etc), and import the modified OPML file back into Dynalist. The problem with this is that it imports as a new file, so the URL changes, which causes sharing/collaboration issues.
I’m a new dynalist user, so any tips are welcome.

1 Like

Hi I would like to gently motivate that this is critical feature for the product. It is great that we can now change tags in one document, but as I am sure many people use the same tag across multiple documents, it becomes a real chore to have to do it one document at a time. I propose that the rename feature of tags works both in the document and “all tags” view.

Glad I understand the use of this. I’ve had Dynalist since around the time it was launched. The tags are a wonderful tool, but until now sort of a hassle to rename, delete etc.

Search and Replace will be very helpful. Thanks devs for making it happen!

1 Like

Update: in-document Find and Replace is implemented. I guess the next thing is to add a global Search and Replace.

Like this comment if you’d find that useful, or you can just start a new feature request.

10 Likes

Hi yes please! Global search and replace or even global rename of tags is so valuable. I have spent quite a few hours renaming tags across multiple document manually.

Thanks for taking the first step towards this.

Another good feature would allow the stepping through the search one at a time allowing case by case decision to replace.

3 Likes

Wondering if you will support RegEx search expressions?

1 Like

That would be very nice… :crossed_fingers: