New idea on tag pane (opinions needed!)

So I got a very interesting feedback from @Christian the other day:

What if tag pane is not a pane on the left like file pane and bookmark pane, but a section below the current document? It would contain all the tags that appear in this very document in a particular order (alphabetical or by frequency).

I think the inspiration comes from seeing people already manually setting up their tags this way. It would look something like:

@tag1 :: @tag2 :: @tag3 :: #tag4 :: #tag5

(:: is just the delimiter and really can be anything)

This typically appears in the note section of the document title or as the first few items in the document.

Tag section, as described above, is basically automating this.

Below is a simple poll to gather interest, but feel free to leave a comment as well!

• I don’t need tag pane or tag section
  • I prefer tag pane
  • I prefer tag section
  • I prefer having both tag pane and tag section
  • I don’t really care as long as there’s some place to see my tags

0 voters

Link to the tag pane thread: Tag pane

3 Likes

I accidentally hit the wrong answer. I meant to hit the “I don’t care which versions” answer. And i accidentally chose “I want both” :unamused:

Darn! I’ll hit your intended answer for you then :slight_smile:

1 Like

If there is an opportunity to sort by frequency, does that means that we can have the frequency displayed also?

#tag1(135), #tag2(24)

I prefer tag-section, if I must choose one.

But if tag-pane is for global tag (=all tags in all document) and tag-section for local tag, it would be perfect.

1 Like

I don’t care too much about one or the other solution/position. Key for me is that there will be some way to rename tags, as part of it. Either centrally in this solution (best option) or, if nothing else, a search/replace option that can target either a document or DL globally.

2 Likes

I do not really care where this tag list resides. What I really like in this suggestion is the idea to have a list of tags which are used only on the currently viewed page.
It would be a third level of tags scoping in addition to the two levels we currently have:

1. all tags
  2. current document
  3. current page (item you zoomed into)

I’d like to have a separate pane. Simple reason is - it’s more time-efficient this way.

Use case
I like to place my document tags at the end of the document in one line. So to make it happen - I have to go down to the bottom of the document (I keep my tags there), press Enter couple of times to move from the last line enough and then place tags. As you can see - not very efficient way. Also if my document is longer than a single page - I don’t see my document tags. Placing my tags on the top is not very view-friendly (perhaps only for me), and still doesn’t solve the problem with long docs.

In case if Dynalist would have separate tag pane that would be always visible even if document is longer that 1 page and I would have an ability to move to this pane to edit my tags - it will simply take less time to do for a user. Which means more efficient work and better UI presentation.

Right now the tag pane is visible no matter how long the document is. ​Could you explain a bit more on what do you mean by “always visible”? I’m a little confused.

This section is what I’m referring to:

@Erica By “always visible” I am meaning a tag pane that if not on the left and it’s “either document or tags”, but on the bottom of the screen, just like you described in first post. So it would be always visible with tags for the current document even when I have the document list/bookmark list open to the left.

I see, thanks for the explanation!

Not sure I have a strong preference, but I do appreciate being able to collapse the existing pane to reduce visual clutter. If there was a bottom-bar, I’d still want to be able to collapse/hide it.

Sublime Text has a similar notion when you do regex find & replace. I found two scenarios this month where I wish Dynalist enabled regex-optional find-replace. One was for mass-renaming tags, like someone above noted. The other was to find all examples of a string I was usually for visual separation, and delete it entirely. Had to do both manually, with today’s functionality.

You can right click on a tag and rename it now. Only for document-level tags though, doesn’t work on global tags right now.

Oh, awesome! I tried right-clicking on the tag on the line-item; it did not occur to me to right-click on the tag in the tag-pane. Now I see the option, though. Thanks!

1 Like

Truth be told it would be nice to have an option to rename tag from document view too. Like to have two options for popup menu:

• Rename
  • Rename globally

The tag section is a good idea but could there be a way to limit the ones that are shown (only show 5 starred tags out of 50)? Or maybe the top 5 most used?

What I’d really like to see implemented is the ability to organize and nest tags in the tag pane into categories (like Evernote)

I believe there’s a feature request for it: Tag ontologies

I’m confused what is being described. Below the current document, specifically? Or do you mean an item you can drag anywhere?

My opinion on the tag sidebar is that it’s nice but I don’t like 3 tabs with grey icons so close to each other. That’s why I do my bookmarks and tag lists manually as items, so they are always visually there without sniping those little tabs. Plus since I want search universal, I only have 1 document. I might CSS hide the sidebar entirely come to think of it.

Hi Erica and all,
Actually I tend to combine both in a custom workflow.
I imitate the “Section” via putting some root-tags into the first line comment of PageTitle.
And create a logically sorted tag-matrix inside the first Point.
So that when you start searching you can use those as narrowing filters easily.
See my detailed description wit screenshots here: Tag attributes
However tere is one lacking feature that affects the usefullness quite a lot… (also described there).
(Ofcourse a real, dedicated pane could work even better… but as you see my problem is not even with the lack of that… but with the lack in search combinations. )

1 Like