Fonts are missing characters

Description

In my ongoing work uploading my back catalog of speaking notes, I came across some which included Greek and Hebrew text. This text exposed some gaps in font support.

Greek

My text uses polytonic Greek, which uses diacritical marks not used in modern Greek. Hereā€™s an example of how Dynalist renders it:

Note how some of the letters are rendered in a different font. I circled three examples in my screenshot and left the rest un-circled.

In my opinion, this is a minor issue because: a) the text remains legible, b) few users will likely need these diacritical marks, and c) supporting the entire range of the Greek script would increase the font download size. However, Iā€™m bringing this up in case thereā€™s an easy fix that I havenā€™t thought of, and because the next issue, below, is related but more serious.

Hebrew

More serious is this screenshot of Hebrew text, which needs no highlighting to show the problem:

For reference, hereā€™s how it should look, albeit in a different font:

The issue here is that some of the code points for two of the cantillation marks (ta`amei ha-mikra) arenā€™t supported (the ones below the letters which look a little like slashes and backslashes). Again, these are rather uncommon. To my knowledge, theyā€™re only used in Hebrew Bibles, and not in other Hebrew texts, so most of your users wonā€™t need them. However, in this case, the text is hard to read as it currently is. I can work around this issue by simply deleting the cantillation marks since I donā€™t need them for my purposes, but I thought Iā€™d raise the issue, anyway.

Environment

Iā€™m on Chromium on Ubuntu Linux.

Additional Information

In case you want to see a live example, you can. I havenā€™t shared it publicly, but Iā€™m quite OK with a dev using privileged means to access it.

1 Like

Related: Black box for characters not in Whitney font

1 Like

Interestingā€¦ Unicode problems are always intriguing.

1 Like

Have you guys tried implementing the Google Noto fonts?

Sorry for the late replyā€¦

Noto is an interesting solution, but honestly I donā€™t like their fonts. If it were Androidā€™s system font, the system font option could work?

1 Like

I guess so. Personally Iā€™m fine with Roboto.