Firefox - It selects whole node instread of text

Often when I try to click into the text of a node the whole node gets selected instead of placing the cursor in the desired place. When I click on other nodes they get selected to.

Steps to reproduce

I did not figure out how to reproduce this bug, but it happens very regularly for me.

Expected result

Cursor gets placed at the right place in the text of the node.

Actual result

Whole node gets selected


Which operating system are you using?
Ubuntu 19.10

Which browser are you using?
Firefox 70.0.1 (64bit)

Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?

1 Like

Have you tried without Powerpack 3? Was there any errors in the javascript console?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! It seems to be the PowerPack. I guess I will use it only in the Desktop App from now on.

Thanks for confirming. I will need to do something about it sooner or later since quite some people are having trouble with it already and it’s breaking a lot of functionality.

1 Like

Thank you! It is partilly my fault because I think the PowerPack is not intended to work properly in Firefox. @Piotr mentioned that. I just copied the script into Tampermonkey for Firefox.

I experienced the same behavior without PowerPack too :confused:


It is really hard to reproduce, in the gif it looks like I intentionally try to trigger it but I have no idea what I am doing.

Sorry to bother you, but this problem still excists. I was too fast resolving it :confused:

Were you able to take a look at the javascript console to see if any errors popped up?

1 Like

I think I found the source. It was an addon I had installed. Problem solved :slightly_smiling_face:

Got it, thanks for following up again.

@Shida Okay, a quick follow up. The problem still exists, I just did not notice it because I don’t use Dynalist much in the browser. But when it occurs it really bothers me and makes the app near to unusable with the mouse.


I’m guessing 3rd party issues again? Not seeing this on my end and not hearing anyone else run into this. Could you check developer console for any errors, and see if it’s caused by any browser extensions?

I’ve had this problem the entire time I’ve used Dynalist and it’s still a problem today (and I do use Firefox, on Linux if that matters — it does seem like the 3 of us I’ve seen reporting this issue are on Firefox on Linux). Whenever it gets into the problematic state, I can go back to normal behavior by tapping Escape or tapping Ctrl.

There is no notable JS console output, but I believe Dynalist’s code is in some cases getting confused and thinking Ctrl is still held when it is not. I sometimes trigger it when I am pasting with Ctrl+V, and then it acts like I’m still holding Ctrl on my next mouse click. I think it may be the same bug as in Ctrl-Tab Confuses Dynalist Think The Control Button is Constantly Held Down.

It’s a finicky issue. It seems like this sequence triggers it:

  1. Press Ctrl
  2. Press v
  3. Release v
  4. Release Ctrl

But this sequence doesn’t cause any problems:

  1. Press Ctrl
  2. Press v
  3. Release Ctrl
  4. Release v

I’ve learned to work around this, but it is a really annoying problem that I would really appreciate a fix for. The only reason I hadn’t reported it earlier is because the problem is so difficult to describe.

I think it’s something I can try to fix - might be a platform/browser issue but I can see if there’s a workaround I can find.

Will be fixed in the next release.

1 Like

[Oops, I had the wrong setting and never got notified about these replies.]

Thank you very much for clearing up that annoyance! The only mildly odd behavior I’m still observing is the following:

  1. Press and then release Ctrl (or Shift) without clicking or typing anything else while the key is pressed
  2. Click somewhere

It then acts like you had held Ctrl (or Shift) while clicking, e.g. selecting the clicked node for Ctrl or selecting a range of nodes for Shift. I would expect it to act like a normal click, since the modifier key was released.

This only affects clicking with the mouse, so pressing and releasing Ctrl, then pressing Up or Down on the keyboard does not do any selection.

I can’t seem to repro this with either Ctrl or Shift. Tested on Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10.