Add spell-checking support for desktop apps

I’ll second, third, fourth, fifth and so on this feature request!

Would make Dynalist SO much more functional for me and I would gladly pay the Pro fee for this alone. Please!!

1 Like

I’m just commenting so you know I left your platform solely because of this. Thanks!

This is a big deal for me too. I understand the technical limitation though. Any chance there’s an API for it?

No need to be like that. You’re using a service for free.

require('web-frame').setSpellCheckProvider("en-US", true, {
  spellCheck: function(text) {
    return !(require('spellchecker').isMisspelled(text));
  }
});

If you’re using electron, there’s this.

1 Like

Thanks for being so positive.

Do you mind me asking where did you get the code snippet from?

If this feature is ever added, please add a keyboard shortcut to toggle spellcheck. Some technical documents will have a lot of notation that doesn’t belong to any spoken language. One of my biggest gripes with workflowy is that my documents are scattered with little red underlines underneath anything detailed that I write.

Then Dynalist in its current incomplete form is surprisingly good for your use case!

Yep. Would be great to be able to spellcheck my work at the time of my choosing, though.

Of course! I got it from this merged github pull request:

1 Like

Actually, this is a better solution and mentions some of the bugs associated with Electron’s spell check API (which you linked above).

Also can be fairly simple to add - depending on your codebase, of course.

@Patrick_Black @Matt2 we’ll take a look, thanks!

1 Like

Many thanks Erica, please let us know!!

@Juan_Noriega: working on this, don’t worry :wink:

Just to update everyone on this (the following is a bit technical) - the official electron-spellchecker has been un-maintained for over a year and no longer works. Most of the other ones derive from electron-spellchecker, such as mixmaxhq/electron-spell-check-provider.

The good news is that we’ve been able to implement almost everything from scratch based on electron-spellchecker’s code along with a lot of help from stackoverflow and electron’s official documentation.

We have everything working already, and we’re on our way to figure out how to deploy it to everybody.

Thanks to everybody for your patience! It will be rewarded very soon!

3 Likes

Thanks for adding spell checking to Desktop Apps last week (set keyboard shortcut to toggle on/off). :+1:

2 Likes

Will it be difficult to implement other languages?

You can change the language in 1.1.14+ now. Only one language can be checked at a time though.

So relieved to see this come through. As some others have stated, the desktop app was “functionless” for me without a spell check, and it’s been a pleasure to use it since this was added. One question:

I accidentally added a mispelled word to the dictionary and wanted to remove it, but it doesn’t seem to be the Mac default dictionary…so it’s somewhere else? Any suggestions on where this is stored?

@Shida: this happened – any ideas?