Search in a specific folder, not all of them

I have basically split my areas (professional stuff / personal stuff / client) by using the folder and I really love the search in document. It’s quick and efficient and I use it all the time.
I have created bookmarks from specific search as :
until:14d is:checklist. It helps time to focus on what I can do now. All the rest is more context stuff or knowledge related to action.
What I really would like is a search/bookmark that would be only related to one of my area : for example search of action in my pro area. It would give more sense to the folder function and I could focus on one of them instead of all of them.
Is it already feasible ? Did I miss something ?

22 Likes

I have an similar Request, I have several Areas about my Work, Private and my company.

Folder Area
Area 1
Area 2
Area 3
Area 4

Like to see happen that I can bookmark an search query which excluded Area 3 in search results

Within:3w -is:completed -doc:Area 3

4 Likes

I agree, that would be quite helpful, as I have a similar scenario.

Perhaps an early implementation of this change by the wonderful Dynalist team would be a search scope that limits to a top-level folder (or root level) and its children.

5 Likes

I would like this option as well. The search function is fantastic, but returns results from a lots of folders and documents I do not want to search in the first place.

2 Likes

+1, I would like this as well

Basically, a bookmark search that only works in the current page you are on,

not by whatever specific page + results you searched previously on another page

3 Likes

Bump. I use folders to segregate projects. Each project folder will have one or more documents. Terms get reused between projects. While the search is working great, as I add more projects, the results increase and I have to read the additional details or visit the link to determine if it’s the correct item.

I’d be happy if the search results showed which folder the search results came from.

5 Likes

@Josh: Definitely, thanks for the input!

3 Likes

+1 for this feature

1 Like

It’s something I loved to have too.

I use folders and sub folders to organize my documents and I want to search only in one folder and all his sub folders.

With that, folders will be more usefull

Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m a recent WorkFlowy convert (for good) and simply blown away by the amount of improvements Dynalist has over WorkFlowy. Not to mention that the devs really care for their customers… :hugs:

The one and only thing I am missing is having a single document where you can easily descend to a certain level and search all of its sub-folders. That is so convenient and has become and important part of my work-flow. Of course, I could just ignore documents and folders, but then I’d miss out on another improvement to my work-flow (fast switching). :roll_eyes:

I’m currently thinking a lot about good UI design and have an idea: Dynalist could just treat the whole of a user’s lists as a single list with the user account as its root node. Then, folders and documents could be just list items (internally tagged to be a “document” to have it appear in the file area). The idea of “folders” would disappear. A folder would just be a document node with child document nodes. Thus, you could add content to it and child documents would be hidden in list view (or possibly shown as a user’s choice).

Creation of a folder would be as simple as moving a document with the mouse to become the child of another document. Exactly like you currently move a list item to become the child of another item. In addition, that could simplify the conversion between lists and documents (just add or remove the “document” tag if the user drags an items between file area and a list – unless the location changes, of course).

There you have it: everything is searchable from the current position as it is exactly the same as if a user had hoisted the current item within a list. Importantly, context could be kept: imagine a document for projects which directly contains simple projects. Complex projects could end up in separate child documents. This would be so great for sharing only parts of projects – or sharing a project as read-only with a sub-project as read-write!

Obviously, I have got no idea how you implemented documents and whether this would be at all possible. But in my mind this seems to be simpler than the current UI (which is already great, BTW).

Just my two cents. Thanks for you consideration! :smile:

Martin

+1 for this search option!

2 Likes

I see there’s lots of interest in this feature, so I created a feature request card that you guys can vote for on our roadmap: https://trello.com/c/LLcPg84V/191-search-in-a-specific-folder

4 Likes

+1 - Decided recently to reorganize my documents and make use of folders, now I really feel the need to have this Search within folders capability…

Voted in Trello too, unfortunately there are too few voters out there. It should have a wider audience maybe, or not so many users are in fact interested on this little feature…

1 Like

+1 I’ve just realized I’d need this one as well! :grinning:
Already voted on Trello. :+1:

+1 for this. I migrated from workflowy months ago, and dynalist is amazing, but this feature is the most important for searching, and need to be implemented urgently!

2 Likes

100% this feature would be super helpful

1 Like

Hi!
Please make this feature happen. I have a lot of docs/areas in dynalist and searching in the current document is too narrow scope almost always, 99% of the time I need search in the current folder.

So, what if there would be another search option:

• “Flat search”
  • “Search in the {current folder/current document}” (depending on the search scope setting)
  • “Search in all documents”

Add the search scope setting for the default search behaviour “current document / current folder”.

I wonder why it could be technically challenging when we already have a search in all documents. Which means that with simplistic implementation it could be just the same search in all documents, but with post processing for results filtered only to the documents in the current folder.

I have exactly same needs.
If not able to search for the directory. please consider a key word to search within a specific document.
e.g. hello indoc:world

Normal search is restricted to the current document, is that not the same functionality as you’re asking for here?