Tag pane

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to follow up with you on this again.

Could you clarify what you meant by “weighted tags”?

Sorry for late reply.

By Weighted tag I mean there is a number (integer/floating point) associate to each tag, such that when we “count” it, we are actually calculating the sum of the weight.

Say,

===
Fruit

• Apple #cost=3
  • Orange #cost=5
    ===

Then in the tag pane it will show:
#cost (8)

2 Likes

That’s pretty cool. I would definitely use to to replace making a budget in an excel sheet.

@Erica @Yatharth_Agarwal, what do you think?

Oh, I was thinking weighed tags meant changing the size based on the number of entries with that tag. Although that’s more like a tag cloud, which also is a cool idea.

2 Likes

I’m always hesitant to add niche features—they feel more appropriate as a Greasemonkey script or something—but I don’t know.

In fact, what I’d really love to see would be a nice way for external scripts to access the Dynalist data (just a little exposure of data and documentation). Erica and Shida themselves could maybe provide and maintain some Greasemonkey scripts, but that way maintaining a nice, completely stable, perfectly tested core app doesn’t drive them crazy while also unleashing the public’s creativity.

1 Like

Just wanna through in my vote: I think a tag pane would be super useful!

I already had a plan to get around to creating my own “tag dictionary” where I listed all the tags I use. If this feature is planned, I don’t even have to do this! :grinning:

My workaround is to have an item listing out all the tags I use, and thus in every tag search it will appear. It is like a menu at the top. Can’t wait to see the tag pane. ^^

Yes, I think this is what people use in WorkFlowy as well. The downside is that you have to manually maintain it…

Maybe something like Bear’s tag pane with nested tags? And maybe a search at the top to narrow the results?

2 Likes

Yep, something like that. After the first iteration, tag replace and custom text/background color can also be set from there.

3 Likes

This will be brilliant. Dynalist keeps getting better!

Thanks for the kind words! :slight_smile:

Update: this feature will be Pro only, now that we realize we’re already giving away a lot for free (a little too much, actually). Rather than start charging for the existing features, we’ll try to restrain ourselves to only charging for future, non-basic features.

7 Likes

Update: implemented!

For more details see blog post: http://blog.dynalist.io/tag-pane/

1 Like

make nested hashtags, like: #work #work/sales #work/ops
would be seen on the tags pan like:

• #work
    …#sales
    …#ops

where parent pan is expandable/collapsable

1 Like

We haven’t thought of this, but interesting idea!

Do you mind posting a separate feature request post for this? I’m afraid it would get buried in this post…

will do this

1 Like

Update: sorting is available now! You can toggle between sorting alphabetically (A-Z) and sorting by occurrences (most frequent to least frequent).

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello Erica! Happy Thanksgiving Day! - I love the Dynalist App. Have been workflow user for a very long time but needed date search and other natural language searches which is abundant and awesome in Dynalist.

Isn’t there a possibility to have a mid level premium providing Tag Pane and Increased Bookmark upto 50 etc., 10$ a month is twice of what we spend in workflowy and I definitely understand that is justifiable for the awesome features available in Dynalist. There are many who appreciate but couldn’t afford. Apart from students, pretty startups depend upon similar apps without burning their wallet. In the future, could we consider if a mid level plan with fairly limited features could help?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Yes, we can consider that. We’ve been on the current pricing for less than half a year (since July 15, 2017), and if we get enough feedback and also data for backing it up, we will consider adding a mid-tier plan.

If you want to post a poll, the “Poll” category is the best place. If a poll is hidden in a thread not many people will participate.

And happy Thanksgiving Day to you too!