Russian font is ugly

Some other Russian user has made a comment, but he didnā€™t reply me after I asked what are the standard fonts to use for Russian text.

We do not know all the languages in the worldā€¦ in fact I can barely tell that is considered ā€œuglyā€ (since Iā€™ve never really seen much Russian text).

There are a few options in Settings - Preferences - Font options - East-asian fonts and most of them are suggested by our users. Weā€™d love to add prettier fonts for Russian (or Cyrillic in general), but we need your help.

Most fonts have both serif and sans serif, where serif looks more academic/formal (like Times New Roman) and sans-serif looks more casual (like Arial), is that the same with Russian text?

I think thereā€™s a problem with the Whitney font. Maybe it lacks cyrillic symbols? Hereā€™s how it looks for me with Russian and English text (in Firefox).

Other fonts from settings look pretty much the same in Russian and in English. Hereā€™s Roboto:

I think that apart from some non-Latin symbols the Russian texts look mostly similar to English, the serif/sans-serif thing is the same. And the weird letter spacing Pavel saw is definitely ugly =).

Yes, the problem with Whitney font. Other fonts looks good. Thanks, I didnā€™t see this settings. Whitney font also looks not bad in Safari. Chrome and Desktop app has this issue.

But if I switch font from Whitney to any other, in some places I still can see ugly spacing. For example in search results and bookmark removing alert:

It looks like the font setting doesnā€™t get applied to the search results page. I use Roboto but the text on the search page still tries hard to be Whitney. Hereā€™s what I see:

I donā€™t have the spacing issue but the mismatch doesnā€™t look nice either.

Ok, I see, Iā€™ll investigate the Whitney font and see why itā€™s missing those symbols. Itā€™s especially important as itā€™s the default font.

Thatā€™s definitely a bug, could you please file a bug for this? Thanks!

Erica, symbols are not missed. They have too wide spacing.

This is what I see on desktop app:

There might be something different about our systemsā€¦

Iā€™ve looked that happen in HTML code when I change font in the Settings.
When I set Roboto elements, I get this style.
style=ā€œfont-family: Roboto, ā€œMicrosoft YaHeiā€, å¾®č½Æ雅黑, ā€œHiragino Sans GBā€, 冬青黑体;ā€
When I set Whitney
style=ā€œfont-family: Whitney, ā€œMicrosoft YaHeiā€, å¾®č½Æ雅黑, ā€œHiragino Sans GBā€, 冬青黑体;ā€

The different is not mach, only first element is changed. This list tells web browser where to search character. Now it knows what to do if it canā€™t find character in the font. It must search in the second font, in the third, and so on.

On my system I donā€™t have Microsoft YaHei and å¾®č½Æ雅黑 font. I have ā€œHiragino Sans GBā€ font. And this font on my system has a lack.

Maybe Erica has ā€œMicrosoft YaHeiā€ font in her system.

1 Like

Ah, I see!

If you just want to use the system font, maybe try out the ā€œSystemā€ option under ā€œFontā€?

On that note, I think this is related.

If I set system or any other, I still has a problem with search results, bookmark alerts, and item dragging.

1 Like

Re: search results, thatā€™s the same bug raised by @dvasyukova above.

The other places are system text. To distinguish them from user-input text, they donā€™t use the custom set font.

Pavel, thatā€™s not what I meant. I meant all this is because these Russian symbols are missing in Roboto, which leads to the weird spacing as ā€œHiragino Sans GBā€ is used. If Whitney were complete in the first place, all this would be solved.

Makes sense?

1 Like

The search results font bug has already been reported here.

1 Like

Thanks for digging this up!

How will you fix this?
Can you add missed characters to Whitney?
I think you also could add default font to the list
Whitney, ā€œMicrosoft YaHeiā€, {NEW}, å¾®č½Æ雅黑, ā€œHiragino Sans GBā€, 冬青黑体;
Where {NEW} - is some russian compatible font, which is look alike on Whitney.

It might break other fonts because of the exactly same reason we talked about here, so I still prefer figuring out how to add the missing fonts in Whitney.

we can change font in settings, but when we share a list it opens with default options. I suggest two ways for this:

1. open shared lists with options setted by author
  2. change default font to Roboto (or almost any other from existing list) for Cyrillic

Soā€¦ the latest update says the bug should be closed, but even after clearing the cache in Chrome, I still see something like this:

Sorry we had a late release. Should be fixed on the web version now.

Thanks for release, guys! Search looks good for cyrillic font users.

But thereā€™re some places that disrespects font config:

1. ā€œMove itemā€ dialog:
  2. Dragging files in sidebar
  3. ā€œUnbookmarkā€ dialog (mentioned by @Pavel above in this thread)
    UPD: for all similar dialogs, like ā€œDeleting documentā€