Read-only mode

Update: this is implemented, waiting to be released. Woohoo!

2 Likes

I see itā€™s released. Thanks a bunch: This was my single biggest annoyance and itā€™s fixed. :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Just leaving a minor note here: The only thing left to do is to remove the menu thatā€™s accessible via pressing and holding a bullet (from all modes), which is accessible in read only mode.

This may be an issue if oneā€™s phoneā€™s lagging and then someone ends up tapping on something they regret by accident. So please keep this in mind if your phone lags at times and youā€™re using Dynalist. Fortunately the expand all appears to be the option that youā€™re most likely to click.

Thanks for the note!

1 Like

Hi Erica,

Awesome on Mobile so far.

Can this also be done for macOS and Windows to only scroll no formatting only option to check off or move an item or node to another place. Still see the Image or files.

Cheers
Dimitry

2 Likes

That would be nice.

Do you think you would toggle this setting on desktop very often? (Iā€™m trying to think where we should put it: hidden in the main menu or along with the search and eye icon?)

1 Like

I think this an option i used very often, please Put beside the search and eye Icon :pencil2: :book:

Cheers
Dimitry

3 Likes

Is this feature going to be implemented? I love to have it implemented on the desktop/web version because I work on multiple screens.

I do not want to accidentally edit my note in Dynalist!

6 Likes

Hey team, I also have just realised how useful this could be. There are documents that I certainly donā€™t need to risk editing once theyā€™re done :slight_smile:

• As a developer, I often have code snippets saved in my dynalist. With a ā€˜read onlyā€™ mode I imagine Iā€™d be able to copy the text ā€œas isā€ (I know that this functionality probably overlaps with the WYSIWIG feature).
1 Like

I would find this useful for the desktop as well. Thoughts? @Erica

1 Like

this feature is marked as ā€œimplementedā€, but how do we access it?

I expected read only to be an option on the ā€œget linkā€ screen. like google docs does

1 Like

Itā€™s only available on mobile via the ā€œopen bookā€ button

If youā€™re sharing a link, then itā€™s read-only by default. That window seems to be the one that a user sees after uploading a file. Right-click a document on the documents pane and then click on ā€˜manage sharingā€™

whatā€™s ā€œopen bookā€ ? i canā€™t find it

ah. no, my screenshot was of the ā€œget linkā€ screen when sharing an item. didnā€™t realize that sharing on the document level was already implemented.

My bad. I donā€™t use the mobile app as often as the desktop app and forgot that the book was changed into a lock:

Alright, let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

This read-only mode for a node is useful, to avoid accidental edit when a node is already finalised. Please implement it for browser users.

Seconded! It would be great if the lock mechanism was available in desktop mode.

3 Likes

+1

It has been already suggested in the thread about the WYSIWYG - https://talk.dynalist.io/t/visual-editing-wysiwyg/34/112 but apparently not with enough votes to be consideredā€¦

There is a workaround, though. Increase browser zoom to 200%, which will enable the Mobile version, activate the Padlock, reset the browser zoom, then enjoy the Padlock active. But whenever itā€™s deactivated for any editing, the same operation has to be repeatedā€¦ Which, of course, is completely non-sense.

3 Likes