Quick Dynalist - The native Android app for Dynalist

Thanks Louis - much appreciated 🤸

Found a small bug - when editing a Note, Gboard’s auto-capitalisation fails (start of sentence). This feature works fine in editing an Item and in other areas of QD

1 Like

When I try to configure G Assistant, QD is not showing as an option for adding notes. Any suggestions?

Oh, interesting. Perhaps Google Assistant has changed how they interface with the notes app.
EDIT: Yes, this feature has to be reimplemented using their new API. https://developers.google.com/assistant/app/intents
On the upside it now allows for much more control.

Create item list Construct a new list of items.
Get digital document Search and view existing documents or notes.
Get item list Search and view personal lists and public collections.
Create digital document Construct a new document or note.
Update digital document Edit an existing note or document.
Update item list Add an item to an existing list.

Thanks for reporting.

Thanks for your feedback :infinity:

Hi Louis,

I have a suggestion to quick Dynalist. When I tap a node, it often opens the tag search instead of opening the node. I need to tap several times to get it work, finding the right place to tap.

Is there any way to optimize that behaviour?

Cheers

Hi FM,

this is probably a problem with the tag ‘link’ position calculation. I vaguely remember that the default link handling in Android was subpar (aka broken).

Maybe one can fix it in this file

I think this repository had some of the fixes that one might be able to transfer over

Ah yes, this could be the point. Probably an option in quickdynalist to disable autolink on tags would also help me.

I put it on the list of bugs. Not sure when I will get to that. Feel free to make a github pull request if you are familiar with Android / software development.

Will Google assistant interesting return in the future?

You can control Dynalist via Google Assistant via IFTTT, here is a tutorial [Tutorial] Add to multiple inboxes! via any voice assistant! [IFTTT Webhooks]

Does QuickDynalist understand dates recurring from completion?

I set up a filter with “Date: Today”, and it seems like it captures
!(2022-04-04)
and
!(2022-04-04 | 1d)

but not
!(2022-04-04 | ~1d)

Also, !(2022-04-04 | ~1d) shows up in QuickDynalist as plain text; it doesn’t have a little calendar icon next to it like the other date formats do.

I’m also wondering whether using “Sort Order: By Date” is supposed to sort based on time of day as well calendar day.

The filter I mentioned in the previous post is set up to show everything due today, and I added time of day to some tasks so that morning tasks appear near the top and evening tasks near the bottom, but I don’t see the list reorganizing based on this.

I think it is not supported at the moment – at least the formatting should be relatively easy to fix though.

If I remember right, also time.

Are all the tasks rendering the date correctly formatted? Screenshots would help. Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, Louis! I’m glad you’re still watching this thread after a long inactivity.

Here’s an example re: date sorting

I made items called “test 1” “test 2” etc. up to “test15” and gave them dates that get later in the day, so that “test 1” should come first, etc. Then I made test items 16 - 18 and set them to tomorrow.

I scrambled all these events to a random order as shown here:

Then I made a filter to sort by using “Sort Order: By date”, and the results were

The events assigned to April 6 all go to the bottom, like they should, but events assigned to today didn’t get sorted by time.

Then I changed the “test12” item to a recurring from completion event, as shown at the bottom of this screenshot:

It doesn’t get recognized as a date in quick dynalist (and it disappears from the filtered view when I make that edit), but Dynalist does recognize it as a date. Here’s the same list in my Dynalist on the computer:

Hmm, it also appears that if I complete a recurring task in QD, no new task is created for the next occurrence. Is that right?

Sorry, Louis, I don’t mean to demand that you implement a bunch of features or anything like that, especially if you’re not working on this project these days. I’m just messing around with my workflow and trying to find something that works for me, which is an ongoing process. Thanks for your responses!

Is this app still active? I know that Dynalist itself is somewhat frozen from the developers. But I like Dynalist and I am in desperate need of some way to quickly capture to my inbox on mobile. Unfortunately the app doesn’t seem compatible with my phone, since Google Play doesn’t allow me to install it.

Oh I didn’t know one could not install it anymore. It requires to be adapted to the newest android version. I might be able to look into that in the next few weeks.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. In the meantime, I discovered how to write my own “capture to dynalist inbox” widget using Tasker and the Dynalist API. (I’ll post a separate thread about it.) So my personal urgency about installing Quick Dynalist is no longer high :wink:

I just updated the app and there might still be bugs introduced from the new Android target – any help testing it would be great! https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.louiskirsch.quickdynalist

1 Like