Page breaks / page layouts for export

The “custom” setting works for left/right, and this setting is saved when you exit print. Did I miss something?

I am looking for this too. For normal html pages you can add CSS like this

@media print {
  h1 {page-break-before: always;}
}

I was hoping there would be a way to replace h1 with the div or span class for header1, and probably there is a way, but after inspecting elements and experimenting with inserting different classes into my Pro CSS window, nothing worked that I tried. The classes in Dynalist have so many parts to them I am not sure what to paste into my CSS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Something like .Node-self.is-heading1 [your selector here] might work.

Example: .Node-self.is-heading1 > .Node-contentContainer { font-size: 30px; }

Give that a try and let me know?

Ok thanks I will try that when I get time (am at a retreat)

I figured the best time was now…this did not work:

@media print {
.Node-self.is-heading1 > .Node-contentContainer {page-break-before: always;}
}

I as well would be highly interested to having an option to somehow adding a page break into my Dynalist outlines. It would be so much better for printing to having page breaks at appropriate positions to having logic groups together on one page. If anyone would have a solution or hint on that, I’d be more than thankful.

Sorry for the super late reply, but your solution did work when I tried it.

@Eberhard: could you try using Dave’s solution and use heading 1’s to start new pages?

Hi Erica

I tried this again but it does not work. I have various items formatted as header 1 on a page, but when I preview print in Firefox and in Chrome, it wants to print the whole thing on page rather than put a break before each header 1 item.

I tested on latest Firefox (70.0.1) and it seems to work.

Maybe there is a miscommunication somewhere. The image you showed says the document title is “Matter and energy”. And Matter and Energy are at the top. I don’t think anyone needs page breaks at the TOP of a document. Printing will start there anyway. I was requesting a page break before each SUBpoint that is formatted header 1.

1 Like

I bit out of topic but I discovered the pdf export today. I use Dynalist for more than two years now and never noticed that with alt->file->Print to PDF the current screent gets exported as a pdf file.

Maybe this functionly should be implemented in the normal expor menu @Erica :slight_smile:

I think the misunderstanding is that you didn’t click on my images to see the entire image. “Matter and energy” is the document title, but I used your CSS to make “Chemical elements: Periodic Variation in Their Properties” show up in the second page.

Edit: Here’s a screenshot of the document for reference:

That’s a browser feature that we can’t “shortcut” to, unfortunately. We can only trigger the “Print” menu and the rest of it is left to the browser. Saving as PDF is provided by most browsers for convenience, but we don’t have access to it.

The websites who have the functionality normally generate the PDFs on the server side and send them directly to you. Not something we can easily do, unfortunately. You can start a feature request and see how many would find this built-in functionality useful though.

1 Like

aaaah I had no idea that the image had a second page viewable on clicking. Hmmm, I wonder if there is something in my CSS that is impeding that. I will dig through my CSS. Nice that it works for someone, though! :grinning:

I can attest it doesn’t work on Chrome though, so I think Chrome is not correctly understanding that line of CSS. Bad news if your default browser isn’t Firefox though :frowning:

Actually the browser I use is Firefox, and I have the same version you do. I dug through my custom CSS and don’t see the culprit. But then I am no pro at spotting CSS issues in a half inch window.

Anyhow, this is an old issue for me. I am using a combination of TiddlyWiki and Adobe Acrobat pro to produce the materials I wanted to produce via page breaks in Dynalist. So don’t worry about it. Thank you for all you do, Erica. Dynalist keeps getting better and better. The new link paste is a nice feature, and I am eager to see how that upcoming wysiwig interface works.

1 Like

Nope, doesn’t work for me unfortunately. Did the same as Dave_gifford. Marked several lines as header 1. But all will be printed on one page rather than having the H1 lines trigger a page break.

Are you using Firefox?

Sorry I don’t know what more I can do to help. I can consistently produce the following result:

I tried wrangling the CSS in Chrome but had no luck getting the print renderer to put anything on separate pages. :frowning:

Yeah, I can confirm Chrome doesn’t work somehow. Haven’t figured out why…