Numbered List: Numbering RESET when "Toggle checked items"

Steps to reproduce

==========

Expected result

==========
Numbering of numbered items should remain unchanged at all times, regardless “Toggle checked items” is activated or not.

It is critical for numbering to remain fixed and not allowed to be re-numbered due to checking off. Why so? An numbered item may represents one of the following, where order/sequencing of items is critically important. Checking off an completed item must not re-number or reshuffle other items.

• step number in a series of process steps.

• action-item number within a project

• paragraph/article number of a legal document

Actual result

==========
After “Toggle checked items” is turned ON (ie to hide all checked off items), yes the application hides the Checked items BUT ALSO changes the numbering of Unchecked items by assigning them NEW numbering in the sequence of 1, 2, 3 … ignoring the fact that those numbers were previously assigned to the Checked items.

The first unchecked item now takes on number 1. Number 2 goes to the second unchecked items, and so on.

An item numbered “1” (for example) previously checked off would now appears to be unchecked yet, due to the “Toggle checked items” action. In fact, the mis-numbering problem already created much CONFUSIONS when I recorded “Item no.1 is Done” in my communications to my team whom the same list was shared with.

Environment

==========
Dynalist Desktop 1.2.1 win10
Dynalist Android 1.3.4
Chrome Browser 70 & 76 win10

Hi @CHIANG_E, thanks for taking the time to write this, and I’m really sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately, I have to say that some users, including myself, expect the opposite behavior. I think this stems from the 2 different meanings of these numbers.

Some people use numbers to keep counts, so to us, if only 19 items are shown, I want to see the number 19 at the last item. However, if you’re using the numbers to specifically number steps, you’d want the numbers to stay.

In any case, we don’t want discontinuous numbered lists to appear. So if you want to keep the numbering, please consider not hiding the checked items. Having them shown will provide a better context for the list.

If there are significant users of “numbered” lists vs “counted” lists, then the move of providing an setting options will be quite logical.

For now I will go with your suggestion. Thanks @Erica.

1 Like

Indeed. If you feel many others might need it, feel free to post a feature request!

For now I’ll close this bug, as it’s for suitable as a feature request topic.

1 Like