Notifications for the items with date

Requiring another app to fulfil the actions is not a good option in my opinion. There are another apps which can do it without the help of an additional app.

1 Like

If an app is USED to track ToDo items, then it IS a ToDo app. End of story. An app is whatever people think it is and use if for. If I canā€™t get reminders then I need to go back to a simple pad and pencil! A pencil and paper is not a ToDo app, but it works for that. It is not word processor, but people write notes and letters with it without thinking twice. Pencil and paper is not a calculator app ā€¦ yet people use them to calculate. See where Iā€™m going with this. How you ā€œpromoteā€ it is simply beside the point of what the users want to use it for.

Taking this a step further, Dynalist has a mind map view, but it is not a mind mapping app. It just has that extra feature that some might like. There are ToDo apps which are not outliners, but when I needed an outliner, I would just play games with tabs, spaces, and numeric prefixes to get what I needed.

I guess if you are dead set against doing reminders based on a date I add to an item, then so be it. But seriously, you have to realize that people leave software that is user hostile. At the moment you have a nice light app that gives me about 80% of what I want. If it dips much below that, Iā€™ll find a better solution.

2 Likes

If I canā€™t get reminders then I need to go back to a simple pad and pencil!

Time for me to upgrade my pad and pencil, so I, too, can get reminders from those! (Sorry, I know, that was an easy one; Iā€™m blame it on this being a Friday afternoon.)

-Alex

I must say, thatā€™s not sufficient reason to go to pencil. I canā€™t quickly reorganize my todo list if itā€™s written on paper! For myself, I have no objection to Notifications being added to the program, but I get along fine without them. If it were added, there may need to be a distinction in date types. Not every dated thing deserves to remind me of its date.

Paper and pen are dead and useless, absurdly inefficient and even harmful that way. For reading books, paper is useless as well (I stopped reading printed books when iPads were invented), and itā€™s a hundred times more useless & inefficient for a to-do list.

And I apologize, but I donā€™t quite get all the moaning in this thread ā€“ the notifications are there, via Google Calendar. They are very robust there, and highly configurable. Would it be nice to have notifications directly within Dynalist? Yes, it would. But itā€™s not like they arenā€™t available at all.

And yes, Dynalist is the perfect to-do app, whether its authors originally intended it or not. (Iā€™m currently in the midst of transferring my 400+ to-do tasks, many of them recurring & long-term, from the abandonware Toodledo to Dynalist.)

The lack of reminders is the only reason I havenā€™t purchased the pro version. I find it out that something named Dynamic List has so many features of a todo app but seems to not want to claim that it can function as one? Highlighting, date setting, checkboxes, checkoffs etc.

DynaList - you may not want to be considered a todo app but many off us want to use ONE multi-purpose app. Please enable reminders. Why push your customers to outside apps for this simple feature? Reminders in any list app is extremely useful.

See the screenshot below. A simple notification about the line item that is scheduled in 5 minutes would be great.

2 Likes

But it does have reminders. And it utilizes a much more reliable API over at Google Calendar to run them. Just register a dedicated google calendar, enable sync in dynalist settings, and then in google calendar settings there is a wide array of notification options - it can email you 90 minutes before the time, 5 minutes before the time, both, it can pop up a mobile notification, it can even send notifications to slack and discord and smart lightbulbs and your smart refridgerator via IFTTT. Itā€™s great. Dynalist is my primary place to enter reminders. Perfect system.

I do NOT want some 2 developer electron app trying to implement reminders itself locally thoā€¦ mobile operating systems are notorious for putting apps into a deep sleep and missing reminders. Google Calendar is a priviledged app that is exempted from these deep sleep features, and also runs on a trillion dollar cloud, I can trust it to get the reminders to all my mac/linux/windows devices and my email without worry.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a moot point now. Mobile and desktop notifications are already feature requests, with the mobile one being a top candidate with >80 votes. If you need it (like many people do), then vote for it. Otherwise, donā€™t vote. I for one prefer an app to cover all needed bases, regardless of how many developers work on it, especially if there is a pro/paid version available, without forcing the user to subscribe to a completely different app/site to get something as trivial as notifications which thousands of other apps support OOTB.

You would need dynalist open and running on all devices to ensure you get the notification. I certainly donā€™t always keep the mac app running. Plenty of users donā€™t even install the mac app - the browser version is more functional. And then they close their browser.

Sounds very fragile, with a lot of complains about missing notifications.

Sounds like a regression in existing functionality and reliability. Compulsively packing features into one app when it could be more reliably split between apps has a name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat

Of course, this is all personal preference. Itā€™s on the trello. My hope is that it doesnā€™t siphon development time away from features I consider valuable.

1 Like

Can you do an actual Google reminder, as opposed to a calendar event with a notification?

No but each google calendar can be set in settings to ā€œsend mobile notifications 0 minutes before eventā€

Desktop notifications (https://trello.com/c/WvJagv3K/181-desktop-notification-for-dates) can be moved to ā€œTop feature candidatesā€, it has more than 80 votes (108).

As for me personally I consider switching to taskade because it does have reminders for tasks. It does not (yet) work offline, but they say it is in hard development.

So who will come first: Dyanlist will develop task notifications or Taskade will finish the offline mode?

Work on DynaList is completed. There will never be built in reminders.

Itā€™s a top feature candidate. Meaning itā€™s under consideration for inclusion.

Well, I use the workaround via Google Calendar, and that works fine. (Itā€™s true that the notification itself needs to be set up separately and manually in Google Calendar every time. But that has its advantages, too: Google Calendar allows you to fine-tune your notifications to a degree that Dynalist likely never would have made possible even if it did offer native notifications. The crucial thing for me is that all Dynalist items with dates in them do sync to Google Calendar reliably, and I can take it from there and set notifications in that environment.)

That list is obsolete. The developers transitioned to maintenance mode, and no new features are planned any more (unless they have secret plans).

Wait, are you saying that Dynalist is essentially a dead product?

No. Is mspaint a dead product? Millions still use it.

Was this ever officially announced, by the way? Such as in an email to paying subscribers, for example? I donā€™t recall ever having received any such email.

I only learned about this accidentally when I visited this forum to report an outage.

As I mentioned earlier, Iā€™m OK with paying for Dynalist even if they never add another feature. Although there are definitely a few bugs left, and quite a few current features could be improved.

Even if none of that ever happens either, Iā€™m OK with continuing to pay for Dynalist. Yup, itā€™s that good, and it has become that essential for me. Itā€™s basically my ā€œthird armā€ now, and I canā€™t imagine my life without it anymore. I took a brief look at Dynalist competitors (such as RemNote), but they donā€™t seem to be offering even Dynalistā€™s current full feature set (despite claiming the opposite).

(Iā€™m especially happy that WYSIWYG never actually got implemented in Dynalist. I find that Markdown is perfectly sufficient for all formatting needs, although its particular implementation in Dynalist could perhaps be slightly improved. But to spend countless developer hours just to ā€œappease the newbiesā€, that is: just to implement WYSIWYG in Dynalist, wouldnā€™t have been a wise decision, in my opinion. I actively feared the implementation of WYSIWYG in Dynalist ā€“ fearing that it might break Dynalistā€™s current functionality, so for me at least, it was a relief to learn that WYSIWYG will never get implemented in Dynalist. I understand that this may essentially halt the growth of Dynalistā€™s user base, and that it, along with the general discontinuation of development, may/will eventually lead to its shrinking, but it is what it is, and I for one prefer Dynalist this way ā€“ without WYSIWYG.)

1 Like