Notifications for the items with date

It might not be designed as a todo app, but it works exceptionally well as one.

ā€¦ except for reminders.

Sure youā€™re not missing out on a decent market here?

Especially with google tasks canvas announcing its closing down recently, thereā€™s a lot of people looking for a replacement todo app at the moment.

4 Likes

Right now I synchronize with Google Calendar (Pro feature) and use its push notification. So I can have a daily reminder at 5 am, and 30 minutes before the appointment.

Sorry but I have to disagree. I think that notifications are an essential feature for every outlining/note-taking/ToDo app.
I think we all have todoā€™s and dates where notification would be great!

I would heavily appreciate seeing this feature implemented soon!

5 Likes

Iā€™m imagining a feature where 'due:2019-02-23-:clock1030:ā€™ is used and configured to give notification in-app and/or by the OS.

The key thought here is itā€™s a particular way of tagging dates that makes it an active alarm. The actual text form of that flag doesnā€™t concern me.

3 Likes

I guess the pro feature of syncing with Google Calendar is the best alternative here. Iā€™m surprised this isnā€™t a more requested feature tbh!

Hi Nick, you can Like the original post to make it more highly requested :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! Done :slightly_smiling_face:

I just have to strongly agree on this.
With Google Tasks eliminating canvas view and ability to go past level one indenting, thereā€™s simply no other option for something to serve as a to-do app / outliner that also offers notifications or alarms.
This would be a great feature that would fill a big gap in the market.

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more. The comments above that Dynalist was never ā€œpromoted as a to-do listā€ are jawdropping - it IS a to-do list, I use it every day, it works perfectly for this purpose, and whether or not itā€™s promoted as such, built in reminders would perfectly complement the fact that you can ALREADY assign a date and time to entries. If the latter isnā€™t a primary, basic to-do list feature, I donā€™t know what is.

3 Likes

There is ONE option, Omni, but itā€™s Mac-based.

Well, there is certainly more than ONE option. On Windows, MyLifeOrganized is excellent. I use both MLO and Dynalist. Dynalist can easily be used as a To-Do list manager, of course, but MLO is an Outliner set up to be a To-Do list manager from its inception.

1 Like

Well, if weā€™re talking about NON-free options, there are plenty to choose from including Todoist, Monday.com etc. ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Isnā€™t OmniFocus paid for?

Personally, I donā€™t have a problem paying for good software that I use a lot - supports further development and allows the service to be maintained for all, paying or not.

1 Like

Iā€™ve pretty much reached the end of my patience with Dynalist. Their inexplicable, continuing refusal to enable reminders/notifications, DESPITE the fact that every item in a list has a checkbox as well as the ability to have a due date/time marked against it, is whatā€™s pushed me away. Switched yesterday to Taskade, which is free, has an outline view, subtasks, web/mobile/desktop apps, instant syncing, multiple useful templates, collaboration features and most importantly, push notifications and reminders. Sad and surprising, but it is what it is. Iā€™d have paid for Dynalist if they had what I needed (as a one-off, NOT a subscription, mind you), but they donā€™t.

5 Likes

Tried out Taskade but it seems sorely lacking, althoug it seems to have some nice features.

Cons:

• Cant Zoom in on part of a list in a hirarchy
  • Cant forward tasks from email
  • No Tag pane or tag count
  • No way to automatically backup or export data. In fact I canā€™t find any way to backup at all.
  • No Zapier, IFTTT og Integromat integration

Pros:

• Good mindmap
  • Good kanban board
  • Notifications
  • Fast search
1 Like

Surely thereā€™s enough likes now and conversation about this feature now to warrant putting it on Trello?

2 Likes

At 19 likes, certainly we can move it to Trello to gather votes!

I made two separate cards so we know which one to tackle first, please vote as necessary:

2 Likes

I was disappointed to discover that Dynalist doesnā€™t have built-in date notifications. For now Iā€™m trying to use the Google Calendar integration as a workaround. If it works, I can live with that for now.

As a complete newcomer, my apologies if I missed something. ā€œRecurring datesā€ is a good example of why some kind of notification mechanism is needed. Why have the ability to check off a recurring item, and have it immediately add itself back with the new date, if thereā€™s no built-in way of bringing it to the userā€™s attention when that date arrives?

At the very least, there should be a special view within the app that lists all the items that are due or overdue, even if this doesnā€™t result in a push notification. It would be a kind of ā€œpullā€ notification. I believe CheckVist does this, but I may be confusing it with ToDoist or some other app.

2 Likes

Hi Tad_Davis. I use a custom search for this. For example, searching for until:today will show all items that have a due date of today or older. until:1w will find all that plus tasks in the upcoming week. There are lots of ways to slice and dice this. I also like using the flat view and sorting by date ā€“ it shows me an ordered list of everything thatā€™s coming up.

Edit: You can also turn these searches into bookmarks or links for one-click access.

6 Likes

What a useful tip! And it may be exactly what I need. I didnā€™t know this was an option. Note to self: read the docs. I do have other apps to handle routine reminders like ā€œTake morning meds/take evening meds.ā€

1 Like