Multiple windows for the desktop app (Mac)

New windows are awesome for utilizing trackpad shortcuts on either Mac or Windows. Especially when using multiple desktops as I use that to completely separate work.

Tabs would be a killer feature as well with a keyboard shortcut to navigate between from a different perspective. If Iā€™m working on something where two lists are related, but not the same for sharing reasons or something then it would be nice to flip back and forth like I would in an IDE.

+1 for both

1 Like

+1 for multiple windows! I use multi windows all the time and have been wanting Workflowy to implement that for years. Iā€™ve recently started using Dynalist and it has everything I wanted Workflowy to haveā€¦ apart from windows in the desktop app

1 Like

I learned about Freeter somewhere in this forum, but not here apparently. I have a OUTLINERS workspace with two tabs in Freeter: a Dynalist tab with three side-by-side DL columns and a WorkFlowy tab with three WF columns for side by side long-form writing of drafts, flanked by writing ideas on the current topic on one side and the in-book context of the draft chapter on the other.

I can call this up instantly and donā€™t have to futz around with side-by-side browser tabs.

Freeter is recently readopted abandon-ware. I hope it will be picked back up and developed. There are many possible places in typical workflows for a DL widget.

1 Like

any updates on thisā€¦ or should i use vivaldi as mentioned earlier

Not yet, sorry :disappointed:

We know itā€™s a highly requested feature though, so weā€™ll try our best to make it happen when we can!

1 Like

+1 for tabs with the ability to drag tabs to a new window (as one can do in Chrome).

+1 would love to have this feature.

Yes please!! I am craving this feature!

if u can splitscreen the tabs/windows it would be good to have the ability to drag items between them, what do you guys think?

2 Likes

+1 for Windows

Yikes, 11 months have gone by without an update. Thats likeā€¦Workflowy speed! :flushed::flushed::flushed:

4 Likes

Any updates on windows feature? Will be very useful.

2 Likes

+1 for this on Linux!

1 Like

How difficult can be to ā€œadd a new windowā€ feature??
Or ā€œopen listā€ (in a new window).
This thread started in 2016.

2 Likes

Was that rhetorical? Itā€™s a non-trivial task, otherwise it would be have been done a long time ago, given how highly requested it is.

If youā€™re curious about the technical details we can explain more. Itā€™s helpful to know you need this feature personally, but questioning how hard it is to implement wonā€™t get us anywhere. Thanks.

3 Likes

Please excuse me if I sounded rude.
Yes, it was an expressive question more than a real question. I really donā€™t know how difficult it is but I really donā€™t want to know the details. I thought it was pretty simple (Iā€™m far away from coding). If you tell me itā€™s not easy I trust you.
Again, my apologies.

Thank you for being so understanding.

If this helps, basically when you use a web browser, every tab is independent and they all pull data from our central database. Thatā€™s totally fine. Our database is built to be accessed by many browser tabs at the same time.

The desktop app, however, access the data by reading local files on your machine. For multiple windows to work, they need to not conflict when accessing the files on your computer. Thatā€™s where the majority of the work will be in.

The easier solution to this pain point might be to support multiple tabs in the same desktop app window, or support split view (having two Dynalist documents side by side).

I hope that clears things up, even if just a little bit!

3 Likes

:eyes:

+1 for multiple windows!

1 Like

Split view, absolutely. Assuming, of course, the primary feature I want this for is implemented nicely, which would be the ability to see different parts of the same document in either pan and then be able to drag-and-drop items from either side to the other.

This feature alone would dramatically increase my productivity. Like, an awful lot. Really.

2 Likes

Hi Ron,

I might recommend the Vivaldi browser. Itā€™s the only one around that lets you make columns out of tabs to get the workflow youā€™re looking for. No drag and drop, but cut and paste. Itā€™s a memory hog, but a nice browser.

1 Like