Multiple windows for the desktop app (Mac)

Yes please!! I am craving this feature!

if u can splitscreen the tabs/windows it would be good to have the ability to drag items between them, what do you guys think?

2 Likes

+1 for Windows

Yikes, 11 months have gone by without an update. Thats like…Workflowy speed! :flushed::flushed::flushed:

4 Likes

Any updates on windows feature? Will be very useful.

2 Likes

+1 for this on Linux!

1 Like

How difficult can be to “add a new window” feature??
Or “open list” (in a new window).
This thread started in 2016.

2 Likes

Was that rhetorical? It’s a non-trivial task, otherwise it would be have been done a long time ago, given how highly requested it is.

If you’re curious about the technical details we can explain more. It’s helpful to know you need this feature personally, but questioning how hard it is to implement won’t get us anywhere. Thanks.

3 Likes

Please excuse me if I sounded rude.
Yes, it was an expressive question more than a real question. I really don’t know how difficult it is but I really don’t want to know the details. I thought it was pretty simple (I’m far away from coding). If you tell me it’s not easy I trust you.
Again, my apologies.

Thank you for being so understanding.

If this helps, basically when you use a web browser, every tab is independent and they all pull data from our central database. That’s totally fine. Our database is built to be accessed by many browser tabs at the same time.

The desktop app, however, access the data by reading local files on your machine. For multiple windows to work, they need to not conflict when accessing the files on your computer. That’s where the majority of the work will be in.

The easier solution to this pain point might be to support multiple tabs in the same desktop app window, or support split view (having two Dynalist documents side by side).

I hope that clears things up, even if just a little bit!

3 Likes

:eyes:

+1 for multiple windows!

1 Like

Split view, absolutely. Assuming, of course, the primary feature I want this for is implemented nicely, which would be the ability to see different parts of the same document in either pan and then be able to drag-and-drop items from either side to the other.

This feature alone would dramatically increase my productivity. Like, an awful lot. Really.

2 Likes

Hi Ron,

I might recommend the Vivaldi browser. It’s the only one around that lets you make columns out of tabs to get the workflow you’re looking for. No drag and drop, but cut and paste. It’s a memory hog, but a nice browser.

1 Like

Thanks Chris,

Vivaldi looks interesting - I’ll have to check it out for curiosity’s sake if nothing else. I tend to use Dynalist’s dedicated app rather than working in-browser but who knows.

I also just took a look at a different piece of software - Moo.do. It’s got a well-implemented multi-pane capability with nice drag&drop. Anybody else reading this should check it out too, if for no other reason than we can all pester Dynalist about it :).

Hi Ron,

I checked out Moo.do and found it to be more frustrating than anything else. I was initially very excited that their app integrated with Google Apps, making it possible to attach gmail messages to nodes in outlines, and attach nodes to calendar items. However, the app integration was a big letdown for me. The Google calendar sync broke multiple times daily, requiring manual re-pairing, and the last straw was when the Gmail sync broke. Once I re-enabled it, all of the emails that were attached to nodes were lost. Emails that had been archived in Gmail because I was keeping track of them in Moo.do.

The developer was responsive and polite, but ultimately not helpful. In the end, it was all sizzle and no steak, and now I’m using Dynalist in Vivaldi with 4 tabs next to each other in tiles so it’s sort of like combining Dyalist with a kanban board.

Ultimately, I guess it’s easy to make something half-baked, but something reliable and polished is harder to find!

2 Likes

I agree that Moo’s not worth switching to… but I do think their split-pane is pretty well done.

Does Vivaldi allow you to drag&drop between panes? That’s the REAL feature I want… it’s just painful to do mass reorganizing of a complex hierarchy without something like that…

You can’t drag and drop (any more than you would be able to drag and drop between two separate browser windows in any other circumstance), that is to say, Dynalist, not Vivaldi, is the reason drag and drop doesn’t work. However, I’ve found that it’s almost just as easy to cut with cmd/ctrl X from one pane and paste it in another.

So far I’ve been able to stick with it pretty well

1 Like

I had the same disappointing experience with Moo.do, but I will have to go back to the Vivaldi workaround.

I’m so thankful for tab tiling in Vivaldi. That’s also my current workaround for columns in Dynalist.

I’m still hoping for a native feature: Support for multiple columns

First time in ages I’ve been tempted to go back to Workflowy. They now have a side bar with a separate view, so you can see the main tree whilst operating in the branches. This answers all my requests on this thread I think.

1 Like