"Move item" and "Toggle checked", my main commands, move the caret in opposite directions -- annoys me daily

I go thru my inbox moving or done-ing everything until its empty. But one moves to the item below, and one moves to this item above. Should I go thru my list top to bottom or bottom to top? Either way I have to use the arrow half the time to continue along the list. Why not go the same direction for both?

Further explained if Iā€™m not making sense:

Suppose youā€™re doing your list ā€“ this list:

Perhaps you delete something. The highlight moves on to the next. Makes total sense. Great:

Sometimes you use Move. The items gone to itā€™s new home. Oh no, we moved backwards up the list? That doesnā€™t make sense. It ought highlight the next item as weā€™re used to:

3 Likes

Noticed another oddity. When you Shift-Tab a child, the child stays highlighted, but if youā€™re zoomed the highlight moves to the parent, when it ought have the same behavior either way.

1 Like

Does nobody else notice this? Am I a weirdo for clearing my inbox with Move and Done? I donā€™t get how other people work if they arent running into this all the time hmm.

The highlight should default consistantly in one direction (down makes most sense to me) but itā€™s pretty random right now.

Hi George, sorry itā€™s been a month since you first posted this. I told myself to take a closer look but forgot to come backā€¦

Anyway, which shortcut did you use to ā€œDoneā€ your items? Checking off an item (Ctrl+Enter) should automatically move to the next item underneath the checked off item.

Otherwise, deleting items using Ctrl+Shift+Backspace would delete the item and put your selection above the deleted item, while deleting with Ctrl+Shift+Delete puts your selection underneath that deleted item. Much like how checking it off works. (Ctrl+Enter)

And I did notice how Shift+Tab items inside lists will move your selection to the previous parent item instead of the unindented item.

This is a small bug, but it shouldnā€™t be happening so Iā€™ll add it to our to-do list. :+1:

2 Likes

I use Move and Delete on my todo list constantly. Both move the cursor up. Seems strange but itā€™s consistent so Iā€™m happy.

Meanwhile, checking off an item removes the cursor entirely if I configure to hide checked items. (Iphone). Small bug.

Checking off an item ( Ctrl+Enter ) should automatically move to the next item underneath the checked off item.

But move doesnā€™t. I wish it did too. Moving an item (not sure the default Move hotkey) automatically moves to the previous item above the moved itemā€™s old position. Is this intended @Thao? Seems like a bug to me.

deleting with Ctrl+Shift+Delete puts your selection underneath that deleted item. Much like how checking it off works. ( Ctrl+Enter )

Yeah that and everything else (that isnā€™t an alternative key like backspace) uses the underneath convention, I wish Move followed the rule too.

Until itā€™s fixed Iā€™ll follow Alanā€™s lead and remap the key I was using for Done to be a backspace delete, so at least my common keys move in the same direction. I agree with Alan that up is strange, but at least I get temporary consistancy.

Now you say it, I wonder why we made ā€œMoveā€ that way too.

The design behind checking is so that you can move to the next item, which sounds natural when you check one item and want to move to the next one. Maybe move should behave the same.

@BigChungus: since it bothers you so muchā€¦ want to start a vote to change move to use the same behavior (go to next item)? Thank you!

I dont know how to use trello or start votes

In the poll subforum: https://talk.dynalist.io/c/polls

Does that make it clearer?

Got it! As active as I am, I had no idea about the polls section or that you can make polls. I still donā€™t quite understand the trello. haha

Just fixed this part :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bumping this as I go down clearing my inbox, moving each thing to its appropriate parent, having to press down arrow after each one because the caret moves to the inbox parent after every move, internally screaming the whole time

Actually, this sounds like a pretty reasonable request - Will be patched in the next update.

1 Like