Mac OS text expansion

Steps to reproduce

In the macOS Dynalist app, text shortcuts/expansion (using the native OS text shortcut/expansion tool) works intermittently. On the same computer, this works flawlessly in Chrome browser. e.g. The text expansion trigger “xwfh” failed, whilst “xtl” works.


Which operating system are you using? MacOS 10.15.4
Which browser are you using? Chrome 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (64-bit).
If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist? Dynalist Mac app v1.3.4.
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack? No

1 Like

Did you notice specific triggers not working, or specific result text not working? And when you say works intermittently, what’s a failed/not working result?

I haven’t yet diagnosed whether it is trigger specific. I’ll start keeping a running record of failed triggers to see if there is a pattern. I have observed that those same triggers work flawlessly in the same part of Dynalist when editing in Chrome rather than the Dynalist macOS app. Also the same triggers work flawlessly in the Apple Notes app too.

When it fails, nothing happens, i.e. The typed trigger text followed by a space is left in place and is not replaced.

I see, so it’s not able to trigger the replacement when you press the space key. Actually my first time learning that mac has a built-in tool for this!

Yes. For years I have used the 3rd party app TextExpander, but on iOS its a pain as you have to switch to a custom keyboard, so I have started to use the text replacement tool built into the OS for replacement that is limited to plain text - no keyboard switching and works with external keyboard for iPad too.

I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but the pain of TextExpander and the limitations of the native MacOS/iOS text expansion led to this suggestion: Text expansion