Format as code shortcut not working and unable to make a custom shortcut without option key

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

• select text you want to format as code
  • try to format as code with shortcut ā€˜Format as codeā€™: command + `

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

• to format text selected as code

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

• It doesnā€™t format. It only works when you change the shortcut to something including the ā€˜optionā€™ key (e.g. option + c). But I donā€™t like shortcuts including the ā€˜optionā€™ key.

• I have already tried the following custom shortcuts without success to format text as code.

• cmd g
    • cmd shift g
    • cmd j
    • cmd shift j
    • cmd \
    • cmd toggle ( cmd + ' )

Environment

Which operating system are you using? MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) version 10.14.6 Mojave
Which browser are you using? Google chrome (having the same issues here)
If youā€™re using a desktop or mobile app, whatā€™s the version number of Dynalist? 1.2.3
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack? Nope

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Is not that my ā€œcmdā€ key is broken or something, I also used the same custom shortcuts mentioned above to change the ā€˜Make boldā€™ shortcut feature and they worked. I think something is broken for the format as code feature. The custom shortcuts feature work. Just that something doesnā€™t work with the ā€˜Format as codeā€™ shortcut.

Additional comments

Can reproduce. I donā€™t understand why but Iā€™ll be investigating the specifics.

3 Likes

Seems like itā€™s caused by an OS shortcut that we tried to block, but as a result all Cmd related keys were blocked.

Weā€™ll make a proper fix for it though, hang tight.

1 Like

Hi there,

Itā€™s been a few months. Has there been an update for this? I really want to format as code with a shortcut and use CMD in it :sweat_smile:

Is this bug also in other versions of macOS? e.g. Catalina has it?

I believe it was fixed around December 10th so you should be able to customize it to another key now. It affected all MacOS versions.

Oh I seeā€¦ Iā€™m currently not using the PRO version to customize the shortcut.

But I can say that the default shortcut is CMD + ` (cmd + backtick or also called grave accent)
and that shortcut is currently not working :confused:

Ah I see. Unfortunately that might still be due to the ā€œCycle through windowsā€ shortcut on MacOS. I believe you should be able to change it according to

1 Like

That is such a common and fundamental shortcut on macOS - I wish Dynalist would change the shortcut instead of expecting people do disable the Mac global shortcut

1 Like

I understand what you mean. Unfortunately at this point I donā€™t think we can change these shortcuts just because people may already be relying on it.

It doesnā€™t seem like the case for you, but if you had Dynalist Pro, you would be able to customize the shortcut to another key combo.

I actually do have Pro and have changed it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This bug still persists at least in windows 11 using a spanish keyboard :frowning: