File Pane Search detects and displays letters in "Search in

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

Using File Search Pane to find document named LINKS and all of the letters in the search descriptor “Search any document or bookmark.” And so the letter L become a hit in the first 4 meaningless results before finally offering LINKS.

I would have sent a screen shot but doesn’t look like it is possible here? Let me know can send via email if this does not make sense. And maybe this has been submitted and being worked on already, if so, sorry. @Erica

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

Environment

Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Additional comments

You can drag and drop files at least. Not sure if you can directly paste it.

We have a complicated match weighing algorithm that decides which results come first. It might need tweaking though.

So a screenshot would be nice and we can know which matches are ranked before “LINKS”.

Sorta worked.

1 Like

Hmm, I think it’s because bookmarks always appear above documents, and we don’t have a minimal threshold so that items with low enough weights are filtered out…

I know …

Or we could mix bookmarks and documents results?..

Could this be improved by setting the threshold to minimum of two consecutive letters before a search hit makes the list? That would work if bookmarks and docs were both searched, and save some clicks and mouse miles.

Second thought: that would still not solve the odd problem of finding search input within the search dialogue “Search results for”. Can that behavior be changed? I never saw another search engine do this, adding meaningless hits to the results within the FOUND LINKS window.

1 Like

Dynalist is not a search engine, and the list of items should be called “Matched items”, not “Found links”.

Here’s a screenshot from one of the most popular IDEs called IntelliJ:

I think the problem is that bookmarks are always displayed before documents. If they are mixed, I think those bookmarks will be ranked after those document matches.