Fade or Remove Bullet for Checklist option

I would like to have the option of either removing or fading the default color of the bullet for checklist boxes. Ideally, the checklist box really should replace the bullet.

8 Likes

The bullet point is for drag and drop purposes, and with the “Use bullet to zoom” option people click on it to zoom in too. Clicking on the checkbox will check off the item.

So I don’t see how we can remove the bullet point without having a huge impact. I know you’re just proposing an option, but options are not free either.

It’s been like this for a long time and you’re actually the first person to propose this. If anyone else feels the same way, please comment below! Thanks.

[quote=“Erica, post:2, topic:462, full:true”]
The bullet point is for drag and drop purposes, and with the “Use bullet to zoom” option people click on it to zoom in too. Clicking on the checkbox will check off the item. [/quote]
Okay, that makes sense in the normal context of managing lists.

[quote=“Erica, post:2, topic:462, full:true”]
So I don’t see how we can remove the bullet point without having a huge impact. I know you’re just proposing an option, but options are not free either. [/quote]
Since the bullet is the action tool, maybe the checkbox shape gets modified and the bullet remains unchanged. Here’s an example…the modified checkbox (left) in grey and the checkbox (right) as it is today

Sure, I understand. I just prefer to see bullets as bullets but checkboxes as checkboxes.

It does seem a little redundant to have both a bullet point and a checkbox. Maybe you could implement the existing bullet with a different symbol and alternate between a bullet and a checkbox for when you decide to use one or the other.

Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

I am going to second this feature request. The bullets before checks look really ugly, and ugly things paralyze me to the point of I have to fix it before I can do anything :slight_smile: I am trying to write a userscript to fix it for myself. Will post here so others don’t have to suffer the pain of seeing a bullet before a check! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A third for this request. Aesthetically, it just feels wrong to have both displayed. How about giving a checkbox the same right click menu as for a bullet? That would allow access to the functionality allocated to the bullet and a left click would still complete the item. My suggestion appears to be what happens with the number in a numbered list, which by the way, doesn’t have a bullet.

5 Likes

I could remember wrong but I think someone posted it in the Share & Showcase category? If not, you should definitely post there when you’re done! :slight_smile:

@senthil - Did you end up writing a userscript to hide or fade the bullets for checklists? If so, would you be willing to share it? I’d love to use it.

It looks so cluttered to have both bullets and checkboxes for the same item – and it also makes no sense. It’s redundant. With paper to-do lists, who draws a bullet point in front of a checkbox? I’m willing to bet very few people do. The checkbox IS a form of bullet.

It’s been like this for a long time and you’re actually the first person to propose this.

I understand the costs of changing something that your users have gotten accustomed to and that you have linked to features/actions, but ^this^ is not a good reason for persisting with a design that was not ideal in the first place. The potential issues you mentioned (e.g. the bullet point is for drag and drop, and can optionally be clicked on to zoom) are not tied to a bullet per se, and can be solved with an alternative.

Check out bullets/checkboxes in Bear and Taskade – the list is much easier to scan and digest when it’s visually cleaner. Bear also does a great job of mixing checklists and bullets (i.e. “children” of a checkbox item can be bullets, and are not prescriptively limited to also being checkboxes).

4 Likes

This is one of the top issues i have with Dynalist - it’s extremely cluttered with all the extra bullet points. Makes it hard to scan quickly and therefore harder to use.

I also share the sale feeling with check-box and bullet, I would also prefer to have either bullet or a check box for tasks (at same location than the bullet).

1 Like

Maybe you could do it yourself with Custom CSS?

I don’t know how to identify items with checkboxes but I use Custom CSS someone on the forums wrote to customize my bullets somewhat because I didn’t like the default ones

.Node-self.is-collapsed.is-parent > .Node-bullet:before 
{
content: "\e90c";
}

.AppContainer:not(.is-using-bullet-to-zoom) .Node-self.is-parent.is-collapsed.is-hovering > .Node-bullet:before 
{
}

.AppContainer:not(.is-using-bullet-to-zoom) .Node-self.is-parent.is-hovering > .Node-bullet:before 
{
}
1 Like

Is there any update on this? I would love to see only checkboxes instead of bullets in checklists :ok_hand:

+1

I stand by my earlier comment in this thread.

1 Like

I feel the same way. Google Tasks looked very clean with only check boxes. The suggestion of fading the bullet when the list is turned into a check list seems good.

1 Like

+1 from me

Here you go. Get yourselves a pro account and paste in the Custom CSS box.

/* dont render bullet if checkbox exists */
.Node-outer > .Node.is-checklist > 
.Node-self > .Node-bullet {
display: none;
}
2 Likes

Nice. Thanks George. :+1:

I’m curious how do you zoom or drag and drop after using this custom CSS. I’m guessing you’re using shortcuts to accomplish those tasks?

1 Like

uh i never zoom a checkbox since they’re never parents. It’s my philosophy that all checkbox items ought to be managable bite size actions and so they’re never parents.

and I don’t drag and drop. I use move hotkey, I use ummmm that hotkey that lets items move up and down the list, and i indent/outdent items.

Ok, got it.

Having an intuitive way to zoom in is our biggest obstacle to add this. I agree with everyone here that it’s ugly, but zoom is important to Dynalist and I don’t want to assume other people’s checkbox items don’t have children too.

Glad to hear everyone’s genius ideas. We’ve considered double click, middle click, or control click, but they are all too hidden for such a core interaction :frowning:

1 Like