Display the last modified subnode under (?) a node

Related to Auto-Sort by Date but different.

My setup

I keep track of my work-related tasks in Dynalist. I have lots of tasks, and often need to work on several tasks in parallel. So Dynalist is indispensable for me to not lose track whatā€™s going on. I write in subnodes about what I have done so I can easily remember what was the task about and context-switch easily when needed.

My problem

So, the problem is: I need to dive into a node to see what I was last doing with the task. Iā€™d rather see everything at once, just the task and the last subnode I added/modified under it

Proposed solution

Add the following option: IF the node doesnā€™t have any notes attached to it and the nodeā€™s children are collapsed, display in place of a note a link to the last modified subnode. (In fact, thatā€™s what i am now doing by hand, it makes things better but is a bit tedious ā€” and could easily be done automatically!)

1 Like

Unfortunately I think the proposed solution is too specific to your workflow. A dedicated option is also required because we obviously donā€™t want this to be the default behavior (if thatā€™s the case, people will find that they can no longer properly ā€œcollapseā€ things).

Is it doable to write the last bit of information in the notes section, and then move things to its children as they get updated?

For example:

• Main task
    Detail 2 (this is note)
    • Detail 1

and then when you add detail 3:

• Main task
    Detail 3 (this is note)
    • Detail 1
    • Detail 2

Or alternatively, tag the last detail with a tag (e.g. #new), and when you want to see the last update of each task, simply click on any #new tag to search.

I hope that helps!

Thank you for the answer!

Yes, I do understand that my workflow is definitely not for everybody. Of course if my change were implemented, it shouldnā€™t have been made the default.

Your suggestions are worth considering, but as for now I donā€™t think they are substantially superior to my current ā€˜manualā€™ workflow.

Iā€™m thinking that I could write a js browser extension that does the thing, but if Iā€™m not mistaken, you donā€™t expose the modification/creation date of a node in html. Maybe this isnā€™t hard to do and doesnā€™t have much downsides?

Itā€™s in the HTML, you need to do a little bit of parsing though:

For more in-depth questions I would recommend posting to the developer board, you should get more help there :slight_smile:

Thank you!

1 Like