Copying content after using a search operator doesn't copy all the nested bullets

Steps to reproduce

• Create a series of nested list items with the root item being a question and the 1st child being a tagged name (for the name of the person who answered the question from a survey) then the 2nd+ child would be their answers.
  • Use the search feature with the ā€œParent:nameā€ search operator to filter for one of the respondent names.
  • notice the content shows the children of the named personā€™s responses
  • try to copy all of this content then paste it elsewhere (in another document or text editor)
  • notice that the pasted text only goes as deep as the 1st level (tagged name/respondent). The responses child level 2+ are not copied.

Expected result

If I copy the content visible on the page, I expect all of that content to be copied to the clipboard so I can paste it elsewhere.

Actual result

the pasted text only goes as deep as the 1st level (tagged name/respondent). The responses child level 2+ are not copied.

Environment

Which operating system are you using?

• Mac
    Which browser are you using?
    If youā€™re using a desktop or mobile app, whatā€™s the version number of Dynalist?
  • Desktop app version: Dynalist 1.2.4.
    Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?
  • no

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Additional comments

If I understand your issue correctly, this is not a bug but rather intended. Your use use is definitely reasonable, but itā€™s easy to imagine someone else wanting to copy just the visible part. In fact I believe thatā€™s why itā€™s like this in the first place.

To copy everything, including the invisible bullets, use the ā€œExportā€ option in the item menu and make sure the ā€œExport visible items onlyā€ is unchecked. That should do what you want.

I hope that helps!

Oh, I didnā€™t know about the export option beforeā€¦ however it seems like I canā€™t export the content of a search operator query.

In the reproducible steps I outlined an example of responses to a series of questions. If I only want to see/copy the responses of one of the people who answered the questions, how would I do that?

Thatā€™s true, it seems that when you use a search query to filter, when you uncheck the checkbox everything shows up.

Sorry but I donā€™t think I understood what you mean. Are you asking about how to use the forum or are you still asking about Dynalist?

Still talking about Dynalist.

So for example. I do a lot of interviews/surveys for my job and I like taking notes in dynalist. Iā€™ll usually write a series of questions. As a child of the question item Iā€™ll have an item/bullet for each person I interview, then as children of the person item write their responses. So it might look something like this:

• Question 1
    • Person 1 Name
      • Comment 1
      • Comment 2
    • Person 2 Name
      • Comment 1
  • Question 2
    • Person 1 Name
      • Comment 1
    • Person 2 Name
      • Comment 1
      • Comment 2

Right now Dynalist provides the functionality to use search operators to only show content whoā€™s parent is ā€œParent 1 Nameā€ (for example). This is super helpful because I can filter all the comments by person.

So if I use a search operator (like parent: person 1 name") the content that currently displays in dynalist would be:

• Question 1
    • Person 1 Name
      • Comment 1
      • Comment 2
  • Question 2
    • Person 1 Name
      • Comment 1

ā€œPerson 2 Nameā€™sā€ content is filtered out.

Now I want to copy/export all of that ā€œperson 1 nameā€ filtered content and be able to paste it into a different document or text editor.

The problem I am having is that when I try to copy the filtered content, the comments donā€™t copy. So what I get when I try to paste it in a different place the content looks like this:

• Question 1
    • Person 1 Name
  • Question 2
    • Person 1 Name

The comments are missing.

How can I use the search operator (or similar filtered view) to see the Question, person name and all the comments, then be able to copy/export the content to use else where?

Thanks, the examples helped a lot.

Hereā€™s what I got by using the example:

Thenā€¦

After a pasteā€¦

Using straight Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V doesnā€™t work well in this case so please go through the export dialog. I misunderstood earlier ā€“ in this case you want to keep the ā€œShow visible items onlyā€ option checked because thatā€™s what you want (you donā€™t want responses from person 2).

Ohhh, yeah I see. It worked through the export menu and checking the ā€œExport visible items onlyā€ box.

Thanks so much for your help!

2 Likes

Thanks from 6 April 2020. I had this exact issue. Resolved now.

1 Like