Copying content after using a search operator doesn't copy all the nested bullets

Steps to reproduce

• Create a series of nested list items with the root item being a question and the 1st child being a tagged name (for the name of the person who answered the question from a survey) then the 2nd+ child would be their answers.
  • Use the search feature with the “Parent:name” search operator to filter for one of the respondent names.
  • notice the content shows the children of the named person’s responses
  • try to copy all of this content then paste it elsewhere (in another document or text editor)
  • notice that the pasted text only goes as deep as the 1st level (tagged name/respondent). The responses child level 2+ are not copied.

Expected result

If I copy the content visible on the page, I expect all of that content to be copied to the clipboard so I can paste it elsewhere.

Actual result

the pasted text only goes as deep as the 1st level (tagged name/respondent). The responses child level 2+ are not copied.

Environment

Which operating system are you using?

• Mac
    Which browser are you using?
    If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?
  • Desktop app version: Dynalist 1.2.4.
    Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?
  • no

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Additional comments

If I understand your issue correctly, this is not a bug but rather intended. Your use use is definitely reasonable, but it’s easy to imagine someone else wanting to copy just the visible part. In fact I believe that’s why it’s like this in the first place.

To copy everything, including the invisible bullets, use the “Export” option in the item menu and make sure the “Export visible items only” is unchecked. That should do what you want.

I hope that helps!

Oh, I didn’t know about the export option before… however it seems like I can’t export the content of a search operator query.

In the reproducible steps I outlined an example of responses to a series of questions. If I only want to see/copy the responses of one of the people who answered the questions, how would I do that?

That’s true, it seems that when you use a search query to filter, when you uncheck the checkbox everything shows up.

Sorry but I don’t think I understood what you mean. Are you asking about how to use the forum or are you still asking about Dynalist?

Still talking about Dynalist.

So for example. I do a lot of interviews/surveys for my job and I like taking notes in dynalist. I’ll usually write a series of questions. As a child of the question item I’ll have an item/bullet for each person I interview, then as children of the person item write their responses. So it might look something like this:

• Question 1
    • Person 1 Name
      • Comment 1
      • Comment 2
    • Person 2 Name
      • Comment 1
  • Question 2
    • Person 1 Name
      • Comment 1
    • Person 2 Name
      • Comment 1
      • Comment 2

Right now Dynalist provides the functionality to use search operators to only show content who’s parent is “Parent 1 Name” (for example). This is super helpful because I can filter all the comments by person.

So if I use a search operator (like parent: person 1 name") the content that currently displays in dynalist would be:

• Question 1
    • Person 1 Name
      • Comment 1
      • Comment 2
  • Question 2
    • Person 1 Name
      • Comment 1

“Person 2 Name’s” content is filtered out.

Now I want to copy/export all of that “person 1 name” filtered content and be able to paste it into a different document or text editor.

The problem I am having is that when I try to copy the filtered content, the comments don’t copy. So what I get when I try to paste it in a different place the content looks like this:

• Question 1
    • Person 1 Name
  • Question 2
    • Person 1 Name

The comments are missing.

How can I use the search operator (or similar filtered view) to see the Question, person name and all the comments, then be able to copy/export the content to use else where?

Thanks, the examples helped a lot.

Here’s what I got by using the example:

Then…

After a paste…

Using straight Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V doesn’t work well in this case so please go through the export dialog. I misunderstood earlier – in this case you want to keep the “Show visible items only” option checked because that’s what you want (you don’t want responses from person 2).

Ohhh, yeah I see. It worked through the export menu and checking the “Export visible items only” box.

Thanks so much for your help!

2 Likes

Thanks from 6 April 2020. I had this exact issue. Resolved now.

1 Like