Cannot use arrows to navigate in Firefox

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

• Open any dynalist from Firefox (on Ubuntu 14 LTS, Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:66.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/66.0). Doesnā€™t have to have wrapping items, even short items exhibit this behavior.
  • Try to navigate using up and down arrows

Expected result

• Move to next item with a down arrow, move to previous item with an up arrow.

Actual result

• Move to start of item with an up arrow (and then stop). If the item wraps, moves through each wrapped line but then still comes to a stop at the beginning of the item.
  • Move to end of item with a down arrow (and then stop). If the item wraps, moves through each wrapped line but then still comes to a stop at the end of the item.

Environment

Which operating system are you using?
Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 LTS

Which browser are you using?
Firefox Quantum 66.0.3 (64-bit)

Additional information

Up/down arrow navigation has never worked in Firefox for me and I had been assuming that I just donā€™t know the right keyboard shortcut, so from time to time I would look for explicit documentation of how to move between items and had no luck.

Just now I tried it on Google Chrome and arrow navigation worked as normal. Also worked on Linux desktop client. Also tried it on Pop!_OS 18.04 LTS with 72.0.1 (64-bit) and it worked there as well.

Additional comments

Firefox seems to be at v72 right now and while testing with Firefox 72 on Windows, I didnā€™t seem to run into your issue. Not sure if itā€™s a Firefox issue or a Linux specific issue. Any reason why you are on v66? (I know 66 is not that old, seems to be march 2019, but Iā€™m still just trying to rule out any issues about Firefox version first)

Also, do you see any errors in the developer console when you use up/down?

I cannot arrow navigate in FF or Chrome (Win7). Just downloaded and testing Dynalist last couple days. I am hoping this is a temporary bug and not how it works, or we cannot use it.

This is otherwise such a nice project, indeed.

Update: tried it on a few other computers and platforms -same result.

Hi HTHawks. Iā€™m running Dynalist on Chrome on Windows 10, and arrow navigation is working fine for me. Is it possible youā€™ve got a browser plugin interfering with your keyboard?

Thanks Craig (and I didnā€™t miss your post in my other thread either ;^)
Interestingā€¦
I tested extensions off and even some services disabled in the systems with same results. I wont be able to test on a win10 or Apple system until weekend or next week.
Cheers.

In case this helps: Iā€™m running Firefox 72.0.2 on Windows also and have not encountered any difficulty navigating.

Okay, figured out what was wrong, silly me.

I just noticed have the Arrow Key Guard Greasemonkey script installed. As soon as I made an exception for dynalist.io, the problem I was having went away and now I can use up/down arrow navigation normally.

Silly me.

Thank you for your responses, this issue is resolved.

2 Likes