Blank items when pasting texts with white lines

if I copy a text like this: (white lines between lines.)

a

b

c

d

then paste into list, there will be blank items in it. like this:

• a
  • b
  • c
  • d

but, actually, I want this:

• a
  • b
  • c
  • d
1 Like

Yeah this behavior is quite weird. Ctrl shift v works but then it doesnā€™t format indented items correctly

Can you have a look at this @Erica

Do you guys have an example of copy source thatā€™s publicly available? I tried copying the example you gave and got your expected results when I pasted it.

Helloļ¼ŸAny one here? How to address this issue, then?

CTRL+SHITF+V is not working. Same as CTRL+V.

If you can find me an example of website where to copy from I can take a look.

Here is a link to my post about this from April.

@Shida: The original has blank lines between the text, so you can just replicate it by adding two carriage returns between lines instead of just one. The problem is that a lot of text appears in this way. Many other programs remove the empty lines on pasting, but Dynalist preserves them. As such, it isnā€™t really a bug, which is why I listed it as a feature request. Still, as is clear here and in my original post, many people expect this behavior, so it seems like a bug to them. My solution is to use another app to strip out the blank lines first. I use BBEdit on the Mac and Drafts on iOS, but it really would be nice not to have to do this extra step!

1 Like

We could consider not inserting empty lines when pasting items (except when itā€™s the last line), since maybe thatā€™s usually more deliberate? Not really sure. We did make a decision to keep line breaks because there are valid use cases for both keeping and removing, and removing would have been more destructive than keeping.

A common situation for me is copying annotation export from a PDF document. These usually have extra lines between each annotation to make the formatting easier to read, but in an outliner app there is no reason to keep those extra lines. Actually, I canā€™t think of even one time that I wanted to keep extra blank lines of text while copying and pasting text. I imagine there are some situations where this might happen, but my guess is that they are very rareā€¦ However, if you really want to keep this as the default behavior, maybe have a ā€œclean up empty linesā€ command?

Yeah just as I imagined, nobody really wants to keep all those extra lines in between pasted items. Iā€™ll have this tracked and fixed soon.

1 Like

Will be fixed in the next patch.

Thank you very much . You guysā€™ proactive work is definitely the reason why I move here from workflowy. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like