Advanced search syntax grouping with parenthesis

Hey there,
it would be nice to have an advanced search syntax, where I am able to group different options together.

For example:
(#tag1 #tag2 #tag3) -is:completed

This would translate to ā€œfilter with all 3 tags and only show non-completedā€.

At the moment this looks like this:
#Tag1 -is:completed OR #Tag2 -is:completed OR ...

Thanks!
~Philipp

5 Likes

Yes. Need this functionality desperately. Iā€™ve seen it requested before in this post. I wonder why it hasnā€™t been incorporated, yet.

1 Like

Hear! Hear!
It doesnā€™t take all that much complexity in a desired search before having to duplicate elements across multiple ā€œORā€ sections starts making the search very (very) long and way more difficult to read / understand.

I understand there are issues/concerns about searching for actual text/content that includes brackets (as has been noted in one or two other old threads where this topic has come up tangentially) - but it must be possible to find something sufficiently rare in place of just normal parentheses to use for ā€˜bracketsā€™ in search that the risk of it being a problem to search for it is miniscule in comparison to the benefits from having shorter and more readable (and perhaps even more powerful) searches.

My personal suggestion would be ā€œ{{ ā€¦ }}ā€, or if you think people might use double-curly-braces often enough perhaps go with an extreme set of mixed braces such as ā€œ{<[ ā€¦ ]>}ā€ !!

(PS: I realise this is a somewhat old thread to resurrect, but I couldnā€™t find a more recent one and wanted to show itā€™s a long-standing concern rather than simply start a brand new topic)

1 Like