Add ++Highlighter++ formatting

+1 for this and you can select which color you want to see highlight text

yellow
green
blue

1 Like

Priority is full for the next weeks, so a potentially planned feature.

Maybe you can suggest it getting added in the PowerPack, since I’ve never heard non power users request this?

The problem with that is piotr’s powerscript and integrating this is that his scripts are pretty much only activated once the page loads or when a hotkey is pressed, sometimes my tamperscript doesn’t even run until i reload the page many times too. This could easily be changed to actively listen for things as I type, but if I’m going to use a specific type of formatting long term, I would really like native support for it. .

Not only that, but for mobile support too (can’t run tamperscript there)

I think ++highlighter++ is something people would use a lot if they knew about how awesome it is, or used evernote’s highlighter, or used it just only once.

just look at how many people use medium’s green highlighter :slight_smile:

Could this at least be dumped in the trello page so people can vote on it (new feature candidates)?

is this trello item similar here? https://trello.com/c/ib9DcJD5/148-highlight-text-segment

I already have this, but with different syntax #hl text to highlight ## and with options to change font and background on each one

before & after

hard to tell when this will be available, I’m currently rewriting everything and this feature can’t work with old PP

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s the closest feature request. I added your syntax to the description as well.

As you can see, while it does received some votes, things like API and browser capture extensions gets way more notes, so we really need to plan our time and priority according. I hope that’s understandable!

1 Like

Other tools support highlighting with ‘==’ as in ‘==this line would get highlighted.==’. See Typora and StackEdit, for example.

I would like to add that I frequently wish I could underline and highlight in a document.

The problem with adding this to powerpack is you need a browser. We really need solution that works where ever you are (as in mobile as well). Again, the custom CSS ability is really needed.

1 Like

I don’t usually use underline function, and I think it will easily get confuse with link item (for me). But I often do hope for better highlight function in Dynalist (it just look ugly for me, at least only highlight the item have words in it, not the whole empty space), so I use code function instead highlight, but do wish have more color to choose from.

1 Like

should be ==highlight== to match other tools in the world

5 Likes

One workaround, for people who have the pro version but don’t use codeblock, would be to use tick and tick and adjust the CSS for the ticks.

.node-inline-code {background-color:#ffd;color:#000;font-family:‘Whitney’;padding:3px;}

Can change to your preferred font.

Nice find!

Maybe you could post that to the share & showcase board? :smiley: https://talk.dynalist.io/c/showcase

Thanks so much!

Can you give an step-by-step description for non-tec-persons? I copy “.node-inline-code {background-color:#ffd;color:#000;font-family:‘Whitney’;padding:3px;}”, go to settings / Custom CSS, copy into the field and then…?

You can apply highlighting by enclosing text in a single backtick (beginning and end) and finishing the edit.

pottser beat me to it, but basically you got the CSS part right. Now to see it, add backticks (``) around the text you want to highlight.

I got it with the background color. The normal black text in Dynalist is color #000000? I am using Whitney Small. What must I change in the code to get the same font size than my normal text?

Please try to post a new post to maybe Developer instead of piggybacking a thread. It’s getting off-topic.

This would be amazing feature. Please start charging more so you can hire more team to faster add amazing features PLEASE.

This has been added, but it’s ==Highlighter== not ++.