Windows portable program

It would be great if the Windows program was also offered as a portable program. I use PortableApps all the time over regular installable programs because I can move them between machines and they’re easier to back up in their entirety. Thanks!

2 Likes

I searched for the same and found only this. Wouldn’t the electron package make a standalone portable version very easy? Correct me if I’m wrong :wink:

Sometimes, people mean two different things by portable:

1. Can it be run without installing?
  2. Does it leave any traces behind, if you delete it?

Item 1 is true. Here is how

• Install Dynalist on a Windows PC. Copy the C:\Users\YOUR-ID\AppData\Local\Dynalist folder to a thumb drive.
  • Insert the thumb drive into your can’t-install PC, and run x:\Dynalist\Dynalist.exe

(Substitute your drive letter for x: )

I can’t certify that it is error free, but it appears to work, after modest testing.

Thanks, @Kevin_Kleinfelter!

Delete everything related to Dynalist under AppData\Local and AppData\Roaming will do it. Dynalist doesn’t leave behind stuff anywhere else.

@Morgan_Newall: it’s not hard to make a portable version, but we figured the installer is the easiest and most common way for most people. If you want a portable version between machines, try what @Kevin_Kleinfelter suggested please :slight_smile:

Sure, will do. Thanks @Kevin_Kleinfelter :smile:

I’m assuming from pc to pc u need to login again, lose your place?

Yet @Erica aren’t we talking really easy, to create an installer option, or edit config file, to write to portable dir instead of /local ?

As I type thinking it might be easiest to use a custom portable Chrome/Chromium just for the purpose, with desired extensions.

EDIT: Tested portable and it works!

1 Like

OK. It is a little more complicated than that, if you need to remove all traces.

• Install the downloaded setup.exe
  • Move C:\Users\USERID\appdata\Local\Dynalist to your thumb drive (e.g. E:\Dynalist)
  • Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software - Search under there for a key with “Dynalist” as a “ShortcutName”. Delete that key.
  • Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall search for “Dynalist” and delete its key.
  • You can just run Dynalist from (e.g.) E:\Dynalist\Dynalist.exe. It will run with no problem.

This leaves some data behind. When you’re ready to vacate a machine:

• Put this in a .cmd file, replacing USERID with your user ID.

del /f /s /q C:\Users\USERID\appdata\Roaming\Dynalist
del /f /s /q C:\Users\USERID\appdata\Local\Dynalist
pause

• When you want to remove your local data, run the .cmd file to remove data.
  • If you just ran Dynalist, you might find it under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\MostRecentApplication\Name. But that key changes from minute-to-minute.
1 Like