When copying text from another bullet point, the formatting is lost in some instances

• Yes, copying over the formatting syntax.
  • No, just copy the text between the formatting syntax only.

0 voters

Edit: Iā€™ve changed this post up a bit, to where this used to be a feature request with a poll, but Iā€™ve moved this to the bugs section.

If you copy **bold**, it will paste as bold. The same goes for italics.

1 Like

I genuinely canā€™t imagine someone voting no. Even if they wanted to paste plain textā€”a perfectively reasonable intention I often want to haveā€”thereā€™s an easy way to achieve that in a system where formatting is by default preserved (paste into a plain text editor or something, then copy that), whereas there isnā€™t as easy a way to preserve formatting in a system that by default loses it.

User information should not be (implicitly) destroyed. Users should not be surprised.

2 Likes

Iā€™m assuming this is for the ā€œnoā€ case?

Yes, and the current case win10/desktop+browser.

Sorry for not clarifying this in the OP.

@Yatharth_Agarwal, can you test this with italics and bold to see if it works as expected in OSX?

Sounds like a copy & paste bug, will fix!

2 Likes

Thank you! So far Iā€™ve only noticed this with bold and italics, but not with text formatted as code.

Italics and bold donā€™t work, thought code formatting is indeed preserved in Chrome on OS X.

1 Like

Hi there!
Iā€™m getting the same here: italics and bold are lost when I copy a texto from one bullet point and paste it into another one. Also, if I copy some text from a MS Word document and paste it into Dynalist, the italics and bold are gone. Is there some way to prevent this to happen? Iā€™d really like to preserve the formatting when copying and pasting to Dynalist.
Thankā€™s!

Have you tried to use ctrl+shift+v?

@erica do you have a status on this bug?

1 Like

Hi @JP1!
Iā€™ve tried to use ctrl+shift+v, but unfortunately it didnā€™t work.
Thankā€™s for your reply!

Youā€™re welcome. Iā€™m sorry to hear that didnā€™t work out. What operating system and browser (or desktop app) are you using Dynalist on?

1 Like

Iā€™m using Dynalist on Google Chrome (Windows 10). Should I try the desktop app?

I can reproduce the issue with formatting from Microsoft Word being lost, but not text from one part of a document on Dynalist to another.

Thatā€™s right, @JP1! I was about to write about this.
At the time when I wrote that, I was having trouble with preserving the formatting of texts copied from bullet points inside Dynalist. But Iā€™ve recently made some tests and realized that this issue isnā€™t happening anymore. As for the material copied from Microsoft Word, the situation remains the same as Iā€™ve described.

1 Like

Do you know if pasting from MS Word with the formatting preserved works elsewhere?

Iā€™ve just made a test with Workflowy. It was interesting: if I copy a paragraph from a MS Word document and paste it with ctrl + v, the formatting is preserved but the text is ā€œmutilatedā€: instead of being on a single bullet point, the fragment is divided inte pieces, each one being on a different bullet point; on the other hand, if I paste the paragraph with ctrl + shift + v, it did not get mutilated, but all the formatting gets lost.

1 Like

I apologize for this, as this shortcut is explicitly for pasting without any formatting. :man_facepalming:

No problem!

Hi there!
Is there some news about fixing this bug?
Just rememberig that the italics and bold are lost not only when the text is copied from a MS Word document; it also happens when the text is copied from a note at Evernote, for example.
Thankā€™s!