What's the difference between uploading a file and using a link?

I assumed that uploading files would add that to the note, whereas a link is not adding the file, just links to a file on another website.

But this quote from the how to guide has me confused:
“The uploaded files are not attached to any specific item or document. You’re given a link to the file, which you can use anywhere.”

That sounds like the same thing as linking using .

Thanks for any feed back :smile:

You need a link to put an image in dynalist

![](link)

Dynalist lets you upload a file but it doesn’t put it in your document, all you get is a popup of the link. You have to copy and paste it into your document.

OK George3…

Thanks kindly…

Uploading a file transfers that file’s data from your computer into Dynalist’s servers. Which takes up space from your monthly 1 GB upload quota.

When linking files (images or .pdf and etc.) you are essentially inserting a “link” into Dynalist that is being hosted by another website altogether. So Dynalist doesn’t take the weight of that file’s upload size, but simply redirects you to the host website.

Say, for example, you insert an image link from the website https://imgur.com/.
The image file will appear on your Dynalist, but it is hosted by imgur, taking up memory space on imgur’s servers instead of Dynalist’s.

Dynalist lets you upload a file but it doesn’t put it in your document, all you get is a popup of the link. You have to copy and paste it into your document.

To this point, the link that Dynalist provides you after you’ve uploaded a file is also a sort of redirection, but instead of redirecting you to a third party website that is hosting the file, the link is hosted by Dynalist. Notice how the link contains dynalist.io/

Generally, users opt to upload files rather than link from third party websites in fear that the file hosted there might one day be taken down or that link replaced with a different file or image.

OK Thao, thanks for that info.

That makes a lot of sense and keeps the local export from getting too large…

I inserted a link to a file I uploaded to Dynalist into a shared document but people can’t view it getting the “Access denied”. How can I make those files available for others?

1 Like

Just to double check: our uploads are safe even if we don’t have the link currently in a document? I sometimes upload to dynalist and then put the link into Google Keep. I’m 99% sure it won’t get deleted (like, a periodic storage cleanup that scans for orphan uploads that have no link in dynalist and culls the file) but just checking.