Vim-like keyboard shortcuts

Would be great to have something like this: https://github.com/thricedotted/vimflowy

9 Likes

Thanks for the pointer!

We tried to experiment with idea in the past but ran into some difficulties. It would be very useful to take a look at how others implement it.

1 Like

Alternatively or additionally, it would be great to have some sort of JavaScript API for Dynalist to make it easier for us to build extensions like that ourselves.

Another example of the implementation of more keyboard-centric movement is checkvist (you are probably familiar).
A mode that would allow to move around with kj and enter/exit editing (what is currently the default mode) would be an awesome start.

EDIT:
This userscript (install with TamperMonkey if someone wants to try) does almost all I want:

function simulateEvent(code, ev) {
    e = $.Event(ev);
    e.keyCode = code;
    $('.Document').trigger(e);
}
function moveUp(e) {
    simulateEvent(38, "keydown");
    return false;
}

function moveDown(e) {
    simulateEvent(40, "keydown");
    return false;
}

(function() {
    'use strict';

var isInsertMode = false;
    $(".Document-rootNode").bind("keydown", function (e) {
        if (isInsertMode) {
            if (e.keyCode == 27) { // escape
                isInsertMode = false;
            }
            return true;
        } else {
            if (e.keyCode == 73 || e.keyCode == 13) { // i & enter
                isInsertMode = true;
                return false;
            }
            if (e.keyCode == 74) { // j
                return moveDown(e);
            }
            if (e.keyCode == 75) {
                return moveUp(e);
            }
            return true;
        }
    });
})();
1 Like

I really miss this feature too!

Me too. @Erica, is this appropriate for a feature request on the trello board?

Interesting, nice work Max! Maybe you could consider posting this to “Share & Showcase” so others can benefit from it as well? :innocent:

Yeah, I can add that, since there are quite some people who asked about this. Just want to note that once we have an official plugin system, we’d like to move this to be a plugin rather than part of the core product.

Here’s the feature request on Trello: https://trello.com/c/0LLDNNnl/168-vim-like-navigation-controls

Hey, nice work. Where do you get the numbers for the different keys? (I’d like to make it work with left/right as well.)

1 Like

4 years later-- I would still really love this feature! Is there any progress?

There is no work towards this feature.

That’s a shame.

Dynalist has always been the service willing to go the extra mile to be usable, and vimflowy seems to have done most of the work for us, so this is surprising to me.

I’m going to see if I can mod it within a day or two, if not I might actually switch to workflowy. Been a Dynalist customer for at least 4 years or so.