Trash for deleted documents

We’ve all had those days…

5 Likes

More seriously, here are the ways this could look that I can think of (in order of increasing preference)

1. An ‘undo’ toast (à la Gmail)
  2. A special trash that stores deleted notes for up to 30 days (Ă  la Google Keep). Perhaps as a special folder in the file pane or a pane accessible by a new button in the file pane toolbar?
2 Likes

Happy to report that this feature is planned and will be available soon!

We’re inclined to the second one. It’s more forgiving. If you suddenly remember that you shouldn’t have deleted the document 5 days ago, the Gmail method doesn’t help… the damage is done.

We’re picturing a simple pop up where all deleted folders or documents will be listed out, with their names, deletion date, and a “Restore” button. Pressing the “Restore” button will send this file to your root folder, because we currently do not track where a file was after it’s deleted. Not sure if not restoring to the exact original location is a probably, as you probably only restore files every once few days.

How does that sound? Thanks!

4 Likes

Perfect.

IMO that’s totally fine. This is more of an “Oops, just accidentally deleted this” thing or an “Shoot, I need that specific thing from a couple of days ago” thing. Either way, we’ll remember what we want to restore specifically and will be able to put it back in the right place ourselves.

1 Like

Any updates on this feature?

Sorry, haven’t gotten around to it yet.

If you accidentally deleted something, please let us know and we can restore it for you.

Today is that day for me. :eyes: lol.

BTW, for those concerned about accidentally deleting something, Dynalist Pro has very useful version history and daily backup features.

I had to use this once when I deleted something and it took several days before I realized it had happened. Version history got it back for me, but I also tried restoring a backup and could have gotten the material that way as well.

Very useful.

1 Like

Hi I accidentally deleted a new file that I have just created to archive tons of stuff. @Erica I am going to email support now, but it would be great if there was a trash folder.

I want to return the list’s past version. Is there any incremential backuping or revisioning? In dynalist?

I could not find what i wrote!!!

Since version history is a Pro feature, I added 3 days of free Dynalist Pro to your account so that you can use the version history to restore it yourself (provided you had internet connection at that time and the lost list was properly synced to our server). See instruction here: Version history

I hope that helps!

Were you able to restore that file?

Hello @Erica , I accidentally deleted a list/document titled ‘feature list.’ Is there any way that yall can restore it for me?

Hello, I agree with you. I’m very surprised that there is no trash, because all other docs apps (notion…) have one.
I had deleted a document and I was thinking it is not a big deal, but without trash it is lost…
Sad