The Sepia theme should have Orange Icons instead of Blue ones

I’m assuming that the Sepia theme is geared towards users who use flux, so in that case, the least amount of blue light shown would help them the most. So assuming that it’s easy to implement, making the icons of shared documents orange or red might help.

Disclosure: I only use the dark theme.
Problem being solved: cutting out sources of blue light

3 Likes

Nice idea.

I use Flux all day long and Sepia is my new favorite theme.

What you described would work pretty well.

1 Like

Thanks for being so considerate for others then, @JP1!

Glad to know! Does the Sepia theme look weird when flux is on vs. when flux is off?

1 Like

Not exactly.

With flux on, the main purpose is to reduce the amount of blue light emitted of the screen, so it becomes even more yellowish / orange.

Changing the icons of documents shared to orange, for example, will leave even less blue light on the screen, therefore less harmful to the eyes.

Note 1: noticed only when the left panel is active, it is very little blue light, so the color change would be mostly cosmetic.

Note 2: considering the consistency of the interface for those who exchange theme with frequency, keep these icons of the same color makes total sense. (I can not remember what was the color of the icons on shared documents in the Christmas theme, I believe they were blue too !?)

2 Likes

Ah I get it. It’s probably like Sepia Plus when flux is on :wink:

100% agree :thumbsup:. I think the blue light emitted from the blue icons would be next to negligible, unless almost all files are shared. It’s just that blue looks weird and stands out too much on a theme that’s yellowish everywhere else.

I think the icons were gold. Blue would look super weird. The shared document should has a different icon color, and that’s all. It should be easy to understand the meaning of the difference in color. Or we may change the icon altogether in the future.

P.S. Glad you still remember the Christmas theme. Excited to bring it back in 2 months :smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to write up something to use in Stylish as a workaround for now, so that way it could incorporate custom colors, etc?

1 Like

Yes, the color is from CSS, not predefined in the icon.

Speaking of Stylish, we’re thinking of allowing user to add custom CSS like in Wordpress. I dislike how you lose your Stylish style on mobile. Is there a workaround for that? Do you need to install Stylish on your phone? (Can you even do that? :thinking:)

2 Likes

Chrome apps and extensions aren’t supported on mobile. Google developers, so no Stylish I don’t think :frowning:

1 Like

Damn. Then we should probably allow custom CSS sometimes. I don’t use Stylish styles for Dynalist myself, but I can imagine it doesn’t feel nice to not have your styles any more once you switch to mobile.

I like how you can easily discover other styles on Stylish though. It’s definitely a more popular platform for sharing. Tough call… :confused:

1 Like

That sounds good. I guess styling themes isn’t a priority as I don’t (need to) use it on Dynalist, either. My basic needs would be to select the color of document icons and the overall look (so, dark, pure black (for AMOLED displays), Sepia, etc.) Unless there’s something else that I’m missing, but those two things would be about it.

I think there’s some third-party browser that allows you to install chrome extensions, but that’s about it. It might not be that popular, and I wouldn’t take the extra step just to use Stylish on mobile. And I guess that’s currently limited to Android anyway.

Haha, thank you. I was only mentioning that, because I wouldn’t want to suggest something for a theme I might not even end up using (and thus waste your guys’ time). Fortunately other users seems to like it, though.

I can definitely tell from the amount of interest this post gets :wink:!

1 Like

Looking at the current themes, there only seem to be about 5-6 different colours per theme. Surely if you could just add an option in the settings to change these few colours using a palette, you never have to worry about themes ever again :smiley:

Alternatively, at the moment, we already have a white, dark, sepia theme. A few other’s I can think of would be a midnight blue, a reddish one, a foresty green and perhaps solarized. That would capture almost every scenario, right? No? Maybe? xD

Another thing is coloured text. I’ll make a separate topic on this, but it would be nice to be able to colour code different things. However, I can see it taking away from the uniformity and sleekness of Dynalist at the moment. I guess it depends on how much customisation you’d like to give the user I suppose, or if keeping it clean is more important to you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, light and dark both have at least 100 colors, some for gradients and some are duplicates with different names. This is our fault, we should work on it to reduce the number of colors. But still, I think 5-6 colors are not enough. It’s doable, but the UI may lose some dimensions or depth.

Sepia is based on the default (light) theme, in the sense that it only overrides about 25 colors, and the other ones fall back to the light theme. So I’m thinking maybe overriding a provided theme rather than starting from scratch is a better idea?

In any case, 100 colors is way tooo much :sweat: ! Once we manage to reduce the number of colors, what you proposed will be doable.

That’s a lot of themes :smile: ! I like Safari’s approach on this. In the read view, you can choose 4 themes. Two are white and black. Another is sepia, and the last one is like the grey cousion of sepia (I hope you can imagine it). So there are basically two dimensions: light/dark, intense/gentle. Light + intense = white, light + gentle = sepia, dark + intense = black, dark + gentle = grey theme. I think all of us have a preference in these two axis, so it’s not hard to choose one.

These four theme plus a palette to customize should be enough in the foreseeable future :slight_smile:.

Yeah, that sounds like the scope of another post.

We don’t mind making the UI a bit messy if the user decides it’s worth it. The important thing is to keep the default UI (i.e. the first impression) clean. That’s why we’re planning to hide the left pane by default soon.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, light and dark both have at least 100 colors, some for gradients and some are duplicates with different names. This is our fault, we should work on it to reduce the number of colors. But still, I think 5-6 colors are not enough. It’s doable, but the UI may lose some dimensions or depth.

100? I was a bit off then… Anyhow, whatever the minimum would be to not lose depth.

Either way, I really love your idea, with the different dimensions for the themes. Intensity and lightness. Although there could be 3 levels to each, that gives 9 possibilities… or maybe 4 is enough? I like the idea of being able to have a theme based off a colour and lightness… do you think that’s possible?

I suppose this isn’t a super urgent issue though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I think how it work is that you first start with your current theme, and override each color value. This will be much easier than starting from scratch. That would be intimidating.

You’re right, it’s definitely not as urgent as things like mobile apps, but I still think it’s somewhat important. Having total control over your workspace would feel very nice, at least :slight_smile: .

1 Like