Strange Document Title Renaming Issue

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

1. Create a document
  2. Bookmark it via the star near the title
  3. Unbookmark it
  4. Tap/hold Ctrl + A and delete the title to replace it with something else.
  5. It’ll detect that the title is empty and will try to rename it as Untitled

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

I want to replace the title.

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

Sometimes as I’m typing the new title, it’ll erase whatever I’m writing and save an older version of the title on top of what’s written (instantly).

Environment

Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?

Dynalist Chrome, Windows 10. I’m also using Phraseexpress, but I doubt that’s causing the problem.

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Switching from the bookmark’s pane to the file pane seemed to resolve the issue for me.

Edit: I was on a different tab and it reverted the document to an older version and delete the note that I had in the title. @Shida, do you have any ideas as to what might be causing this? My other documents appear to be just fine.

I also can’t paste links in the title. It’s so strange.

Update: I’ve created a new document to avoid the hassle, but the note that I created was mysteriously deleted for some reason. I hyperlinked some words in it, so I don’t know if that’s the root of the cause.

I can confirm I see this behavior sometimes too. Not always, but often enough.

@Shida, mind taking a look?

While I use only one document, I experience it every time I change the document title, without necessarily using Ctrl+A.

I can repro the problem as well. It seems like our restriction on “documents must have a title” is overriding the empty title with “Untitled”.

I’ll fix it asap.

2 Likes

Fixed. It should be going out in a day or two.

2 Likes

That speed of “asap” though… :scream:

1 Like

Thanks Shida! Will this also address the deletion of the title’s notes as well?

Edit: I forgot, but it’s currently not possible to make a document title a link, correct?

Update: this should now be fixed in the live site.

1 Like

That’s addressed separately. I believe Erica fixed that as well.

I believe that’s correct.

1 Like

Thank you both for squashing both bugs! I’ll confirm each one once they’re rolled out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great, thanks! :smiley:

I’ve just experienced this issue. I was trying to rename a document a couple of times, but each time it would overwrite what what written. Could someone else confirm this on Chrome/Win10?

I experienced it too. Will make sure it’s actually fixed this time.

1 Like