I’d really like to see this feature too. My preferred implementation (I think) would be:
- Documents open in “doc panes” that expand automatically to fill the width of the screen
- Doc panes can be closed (click X at top of any doc pane) and remaining doc panes expand to fill the space
- Number of doc panes could range from 0 to 4 (yes you can close all the doc panes leaving only the file pane on the left)
- Single-click a document in the file pane to open it in the active doc pane (creates a doc pane if there isn’t one).
- Double-click a document in the file pane to open it in a new doc pane (adds a doc pane to the right).
Currently double-clicking a document edits the title, but this is a redundant feature since you can also right-click the document and choose “Rename”. I think opening a document in a new doc pane would be desired much more frequently than renaming a document so I would relegate renaming to the more time consuming right-click menu and use double-click for opening documents in a new doc pane.
Just my 2 cents. However it may get implemented, I’m sure I would find it very useful (especially with cut/paste and/or drag/drop capability between panes).