Show first item next to parent on collapse

I love the nested hierachies of lists. However, when there is only 1-2 items under a parent, it is takes up a lot of vertical space to leave it expanded.

I often find myself adding a colon character to the parent item, and write the first things there before creating a hierachy, but when editing the node, and adding more children to the list, i then have to manually copy it to separate items.

Consider showing the first item next to the parent text, when you collapse a node - or showing the first 50 characters of the sub-level items in a light gray text.

1 Like

The parent items Notes field can kind of do this, put your first child there instead, and set view to 1 line of notes

i would love something like this. i had the same idea but for showing the next task in the list of grouped tasks

about having to manually copy things to separate items… if you just put the cursor where you want the text to be split and then hit enter, it will be moved onto a new line. you would just have indent it then

I would never use this feature – just to give me 2 cents. I too put all the items on one line if there would be only 1 or 2 children and it works great. If dynalist was always doing that automatically it would drive me insane and frazzle my visual system. It’s a weird formatting choice so I need to decide when and where it makes sense to do.