Second Pane for Notes

Would like the option to have note appear in a second pane on the right or below at least on larger screen devices in other words a two pane outliner. The formatting options for notes seem limited at this time

11 Likes

I would also love a note pane on the right showing the note of the bullet you’re currently editing - It’s been discussed before actually

1 Like

Guess it’s useful for longer notes? I typically have 2-3 lines in notes so didn’t feel the need.

I’m curious how many lines do you typically have in your notes?

Many of my notes are much larger than 2-3 lines. Here are a few of my use cases:

1. I often use Dynalist for document drafting, for which each node is a section title and the note contains the paragraph text. It’s great for quickly navigating and rearranging documents.
  2. For project work I often use note text to hold emails related to a project. Great for reference and searching.
  3. For story editing, I often use the notes to hold a few paragraphs of history or background for a character or storyline.
5 Likes

Thanks Craig, that’s very helpful!

I imagine for scenarios like those, Dynalist is as limited as an email client that only lets your draft emails inline…

I’m not sure what this means, but I would love to see Dynalist develop better capacity as a writing tool, as @Craig_Oliver suggests. We’ve also had previous discussions about a word count feature. Currently I compose in a separate tab and copy and paste it back into the Dynalist note, which is cumbersome.

1 Like

Dynalist is an amazing draft writing tool even with it’s very limited formatting tools. I do one bullet = one paragraph - the bullet summarises the paragraph and the note is the writing itself. This keeps things very focused and easy to ‘scan’. So yes writing and the things Craig suggested would be the main use case for this. Of course I would love more formatting features, but I also appreciate dynalist being lightweight.

I do think this would add substantial additional value to dynalist while not interfering with it’s normal usage. It would normally be hidden I assume, and popped out when needed.

2 Likes

It is a very useful tool, and it works. I have 5 devices and the synchronization works so far flawlessly. I also appreciate the streamlined nature of the program without bloat but works very well and fast. Nevertheless, I would like second pane.

1 Like

@Erica I just wanted to add an example here of the value of this note pane idea outside of writing, for as you said, when you have longer notes. I’m currently transferring my academic article notes over to dynalist as I’m a bit done with evernote, but the one thing that has kept me there over the years is exactly this feature. See the screenshots below. When perusing these big notes, with images and text etc, it’s super nice to be able to have (A) a relatively succinct list of each note to click through when skimming or looking for something, but at the same time (B) to be able to see the content. In dynalist you either can’t see the content (notes collapsed, screenshot 1) or everything is expanded and so it’s just a big horrible mess (screenshot 2). A note pane on the right displaying current notes would be super amazing for this just like evernote in the screenshots here.

Expanded - impossible to browse :confused:

2 Likes

I agree. This is a key reason I am sticking with Evernote. This feature would extend Dynalist’s usability greatly.

2 Likes

@Erica Could we get an item for this note pane feature on the dynalist trello road map? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Definitely. Before I do that though, can I double check that this is about having a larger and separate space to edit the notes, and not about having more editing options for the notes field? Because these two are pretty different things in my opinion.

I’m double checking because the OP said:

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes definitely I am referring to having a larger / separate space.

1 Like

Got it, thanks.

Here’s the feature request card: https://trello.com/c/uDGo8A3N/190-edit-note-in-a-separate-larger-pane

4 Likes

+1 on this feature.

2 Likes

If you want the feature vote it in trello as well :slight_smile:

Registration needed :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes I don’t like the extra platform as well. I made a Trello account only for Dynalist :sweat_smile:

Well… maybe I’ll consider creating an account for Dynalist, but still bugs me :wink:

1 Like

Sorry about that! It was primarily for the voting ability :sweat_smile:

1 Like