Search API (by tags)

I would love to create a service that, at points at time in my day, will send me a generated text message with my @todos in them. e.g., when I get home send me all of my Home @todos, or when I get to work, send me my Work @todos.

I don’t think I can search at all in the existing APIs. Is something like this planned? Thx.

You can query all documents and search manually currently.

Alternatively my app Quick Dynalist for android has widgets that allow to display all tagged items.

You can pull all the data once and send yourself the search results. Since you only want to do it once per day instead of whenever there are updates, pulling the entire document sounds appropriate.

I get that I can do that as a workaround, bit it seems super inefficient to pull that much data out of your servers to get the list of @todos.

I might do it a few times a day (work and home are different contexts). I’ll give it a shot and report back what I find. Thx!

I’d also like the ability to perform searches through the API.

It is fairly trivial to pull an entire document and perform searches in code. I don’t think the document size is an issue (for the server nor the client) unless the document is really really huge or you need to do the same thing every second.

Just as an example, here’s some code based on my Node.js API client:

const Client = require('dynalist-js');

const dyn = new Client('<my developer api token>');

dyn.readDocument(file_id, function(err, data) {
    const todos = data.nodes.filter(function(node) {
        return node.content.match(/@todo/);
    });

console.log(todos);
});

I’m vaguely planning to build a search utility into my client class so one can use all search prameters just like in the Dynalist app, but that will take a while to get to.