Pressing enter on keyboard does not create new item (Android native)

Steps to reproduce

On Android native (using gboard) go to the end of an item and press ā€œenterā€.

Expected result

A new item below the current one is created.

Actual result

A newline is entered in the current item.

This makes using the mobile app incredibly frustrating, as itā€™s the primary method of creating new items.

See this repro: https://streamable.com/u3vpx2

New behavior was observed starting today (11/26/2020), possibly due to a gboard update or ā€œserver side initiatedā€ gboard update.

Environment

Android 10 native app v1.4.10. Gboard v10.0.02.338ā€¦

Canā€™t repro when using alternate keyboard (e.g. SwiftKey) or in Android Chrome (even with gboard).

Seems related to this, but obviously much worse in terms of usability: Splitting existing item can cause duplicate text

2 Likes

I have the same today, this was not happeningā€¦

+1 This is rendering the Android mobile application useless for me.

Same problem here. Sometimes it will turn into a new item by hitting the [up] action, but not consistent.

Can repro. Gboard has been incredibly frustrating to work with recently (to the point where itā€™s worse than Apple/iOS :joy: ), let me see if thereā€™s some way to work around this.

1 Like

Found a crappy workaround. Hit enter twice, and your new item appears above the item you started from. Unfortunately the item you created from will have an extra newline that you need to delete manually.

I got a fix coming :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Shida I really appreciate your quick response to this! Will this update be pushed out faster than the normal release cycle? Is there an ETA for when it should be available?

As fast as the app store will allow us haha. Iā€™ve built the apk about 5 minutes ago and weā€™ll be sending it up soon.

1 Like

Just updated and itā€™s fixed! Thanks for the fast release!

1 Like

Thanks!