Powerpack 3

I can understand the concern/frustration, Fred. On the other hand, it also seems unreasonable to hold the developer accountable for backwards compatibility with an entirely custom/hacked front-end. DOM elements, APIs, etc. Thereā€™s no easy solution AFAIK. We canā€™t have our cake and eat it, too, all the time. Amazing to see such proactive communication in advance, in my opinion.

1 Like

Weā€™re looking at a major codebase mass rename in order to keep a consistent naming convention. On top of that, several modules would have functions moved or changed for better internal organization.

Weā€™re hoping we can gain access to the original source for Powerpack so we can patch up anything that changes, but there has been no response from Piotr.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pity. Hopefully @Piotr will respond.

Given that sorting is now included in the app, there are for me some key functions that would be missed.

1. The use of agenda for reviews involving due date and tags that indicated weekly and monthly goals
  2. The workspaces menu along the top of the screen that triggers these agendas and offers one-click access to bookmarked items.
  3. Dual panes for tracking progress during the day (though switching panes can be awkward)

So Powerpack provides an important supplement for daily, weekly and monthly reviews. It will be missed.

2 Likes

For 1 I donā€™t understand perhaps you could explain? For 2 and 3 there are workarounds.

2. Shortcuts to due items

• Add shortcuts to bookmarks in the bookmarks bar of your browser or to the top of you dynalist documents

3. Dual panes:
The Vivaldi browser has the feature built in. I regularly have 4 dynalists in one ā€œtabā€ split in 4 columns

Plugins for chrome based browsers(I have not tried any of these):

• Tabscissors
  • Splitview
  • Tab Resize
  • Tile Tabs WE

Allan I recommend you read this intro PDF which is pure gold:
http://takesmartnotes.com/download/725/

I see, the free intro chapter to How to Take Smart Notes which is a text related to the Zettelkasten technique.

1 Like

Is this extension still actively supported? I am using Dynalist 1.3.0. I just want to make sure before I invest a lot of time in it. It looks very useful!

I just answered my own question by scrolling back through all the posts. It looks like the last time @Piotr posted here was May 2019.

Next question: how do I uninstall PP3?

Which way did you install it? GreaseFork or the Dev Console way?

Hi, I donā€™t know if it still works, but if anyone is interested, there is the code: https://github.com/panpiotrs/DynalistPowerpack

But beware that this code was never meant to be public, the quality is bad, I was learning new stuff doing that, there are ugly hacks all around, there are some things that I started, but never finished. Overall itā€™s a mess.

11 Likes

Thank you! Weā€™ll see if thereā€™s anything we can do so people using Powerpack can get a version that works with the latest version of Dynalist.

8 Likes

So Piotr, I remember now that it was from a PowerPack tweak that I first heard the term ā€œspaced repetitionā€ a good while back and from that, Zettlekasten, and from there to other things which I have since exploredā€“mostly for my kids and grandkids who are still students, but for myself also as a life-long learner. ROAM is the latest focus of interest. And RemNote. And Polar Desktop

Given the benefit Iā€™ve gotten over the past two years from PP on Dynalist, Iā€™d love to know when-if you make your One Interconnected Place open to users. Iā€™ll be looking via Slack and here. Thanks for what you are contributing.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind words, Iā€™m glad it helped you that much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dates in Agenda no longer work. :cry:

2 Likes

Same problem here @Timur_Raptayev :confused:

1 Like

Yes, this does prompt the call for a dashboard for Dynalist with due items. Iā€™ve had to use a search bookmark, which is way more cumbersome than PowerPack, and so have stopped using dates in Dynalist. I use TickTick instead to show whatā€™s due today.

1 Like

Hi,

Iā€™m trying to set up Powerpack 3 on my Dynalist Desktop application, but Iā€™m getting an error message. - Or actually, Iā€™m getting 2, depending on how I paste the code in the console:

One reads ā€œUncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ā€˜offā€™ of undefinedā€.
The other one: ā€œUncaught Error: only one instance of babel-polyfill is allowedā€.

Iā€™m probably doing something wrong in a very newbee and stupid way, but hey!
I AM a newbee. :d
I am a writer, not a programmer/techie/geek/ā€¦!

Thanks in advance for your help.
The Powerpack looks really great, so Iā€™d like to use it! :slight_smile:

afbeelding

afbeelding

afbeelding

Okay, never mind.
Scrolling through this IMMENSELY long thread, I found someone with the same problem who pointed out that you have to press the menu in the top right corner to open up the ā€œOpen Powerpack Settingsā€ option.

Maybe this should be added to the manual. :d

1 Like

@Kenneth_Aar ā€“ just to confirm, still no way to drag ā€˜line-itemsā€™ and ā€˜nested listsā€™ across panes, even using other browsers, right?

Sadly; no.