Plus Sign (+) Inconsistency

The plus sign (+) is used in two completely different ways in the Dynalist UI, which may cause confusion. Within a document, it is used to expand a bullet point. But in the file pane, itā€™s used to create a new file. This latter usage is normal. Within a tree structure, such as a Dynalist outline, however, expanding and collapsing buttons are usually indicated by a caret (pointing down to show an item is currently expanded, or pointing right to show the item is collapsed).

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, nice catch. I totally agree, and you can see with numbered lists we show triangles instead of plus and minus signs.

Itā€™s a legacy thing and it makes the transition from WorkFlowy easier (I think). A sudden change will also upset lots of users, as we have experienced before. So even I agree itā€™s not an optimal design right now, I donā€™t think weā€™ll change it, unfortunately.

But, Workflowy made exactly this change earlier this year. https://blog.workflowy.com/2019/03/05/pointing-the-way-forward-or-downward/
Interesting comments on the post. Generally in favour though.

:thinking: perhaps we should have a vote?

Woah, didnā€™t know that. Maybe we should follow our competitors closer :wink:

Vote it is! Do you want to create the poll, @pottster?

Done.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :smiley: