Firstly, thanks for the email to Dynalist for this functionality. Since I use Dynalist a lot as a task and project management tool, being able to email tasks into my system is a game-changer.
Of course, when I got in to today I immediately tried it and tested out sending and forwarding emails from gmail, ProtonMail and Outlook (Windows client and web client). Everything went fine except forwarding emails from Outlook. When I did that the email did NOT appear in my Dynalist. New emails from Outlook worked fine, but not forwarded ones. I found if I deleted the first few lines of the email before forwarding (so the ruler line that Outlook puts in forwarded mails and say a couple of lines of the addressing) they seemed to forward just fine.
I’m not a software developer but wonder whether this is because of something Outlook puts in the header or text in forwarded emails.