Notifications for the items with date

Hello,
Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m duplicating the request but I just was wondering if push notifications can be enabled for the items added with date and time.
Let me know if this feature already exists. Iā€™m running iOS FYI.

EDIT by mod: now there are roadmap cards you can vote for! See Notifications for the items with date

31 Likes

This post is similar: Calender Notification

Thanks for responding.

Are there any efforts in progress for getting this to iOS?

Unfortunately, no. Our current plan doesnā€™t include pushing Dynalist towards the ā€œreminder appā€ direction, and weā€™ll polish it as an outlining/note-taking/organizing app. We may add more integrations (e.g. iCal) in the future, but direct date notifications from Dynalist is not in our plans, sorry.

1 Like

It seems like if I can add a date/time to an entry a notification is a natural extension of that feature.

3 Likes

Not necessarily, since Dynalist is not a todo app, some people use dates for logging purposes which they donā€™t need to be reminded about.

1 Like

Actually I do use it as a to-do application. And I guarantee others do as well. Reminder functionality canā€™t hurt - people who use the app as an outliner can simply turn it off. But if I set dates on items, as mentioned by Ryan above, then the app should have the option to notify at the due time/date.

10 Likes

I agree it canā€™t hurt, but it doesnā€™t get very high priority because we never promoted Dynalist as a todo list and although some use it as so, many do not.

Thanks for understanding.

It might not be designed as a todo app, but it works exceptionally well as one.

ā€¦ except for reminders.

Sure youā€™re not missing out on a decent market here?

Especially with google tasks canvas announcing its closing down recently, thereā€™s a lot of people looking for a replacement todo app at the moment.

4 Likes

Right now I synchronize with Google Calendar (Pro feature) and use its push notification. So I can have a daily reminder at 5 am, and 30 minutes before the appointment.

Sorry but I have to disagree. I think that notifications are an essential feature for every outlining/note-taking/ToDo app.
I think we all have todoā€™s and dates where notification would be great!

I would heavily appreciate seeing this feature implemented soon!

5 Likes

Iā€™m imagining a feature where 'due:2019-02-23-:clock1030:ā€™ is used and configured to give notification in-app and/or by the OS.

The key thought here is itā€™s a particular way of tagging dates that makes it an active alarm. The actual text form of that flag doesnā€™t concern me.

3 Likes

I guess the pro feature of syncing with Google Calendar is the best alternative here. Iā€™m surprised this isnā€™t a more requested feature tbh!

Hi Nick, you can Like the original post to make it more highly requested :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you! Done :slightly_smiling_face:

I just have to strongly agree on this.
With Google Tasks eliminating canvas view and ability to go past level one indenting, thereā€™s simply no other option for something to serve as a to-do app / outliner that also offers notifications or alarms.
This would be a great feature that would fill a big gap in the market.

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more. The comments above that Dynalist was never ā€œpromoted as a to-do listā€ are jawdropping - it IS a to-do list, I use it every day, it works perfectly for this purpose, and whether or not itā€™s promoted as such, built in reminders would perfectly complement the fact that you can ALREADY assign a date and time to entries. If the latter isnā€™t a primary, basic to-do list feature, I donā€™t know what is.

3 Likes

There is ONE option, Omni, but itā€™s Mac-based.

Well, there is certainly more than ONE option. On Windows, MyLifeOrganized is excellent. I use both MLO and Dynalist. Dynalist can easily be used as a To-Do list manager, of course, but MLO is an Outliner set up to be a To-Do list manager from its inception.

1 Like

Well, if weā€™re talking about NON-free options, there are plenty to choose from including Todoist, Monday.com etc. ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ