Notes and Contents moving to the new bullet when hitting Enter

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.
Create a new line and write something. Add a note also writing something into it
Go back to the bullet line (not the note line) and Hit enter

-OR- (More dangerous)

Create a new line and write something. Hit Enter then Indent, and write something. Create a few bullets inside the parent
Add a note to the parent
Go back to the parent bullet line and Hit enter

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?
The note and children contents remain always stuck in the original bullet where it belonged

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?
The note is carried over to the new bullet (empty) node

In the second example above (dangerous), not only the note is carried over but also all the children itemsā€¦ Making the need to revert it quickly through Ctrl-Z or Backspaceā€¦

Environment

Which operating system are you using? Windows 10 Build 1803
Which browser are you using? Chrome 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)
If youā€™re using a desktop or mobile app, whatā€™s the version number of Dynalist? Web only
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack? No

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Maybe this isnā€™t totally new but I couldnā€™t find any similar trace of the thread. I couldnā€™t catch a proper trigger or pattern, but I just noticed that it may depend on the spaces after the text node in the bullet. It doesnā€™t happen often when the bullet has more empty spaces in the end.

It doesnā€™t happen frequently but itā€™s very annoying when it doesā€¦

Additional comments

When you press enter, youā€™re splitting a single item into 2. Itā€™s a bit subjective which one is ā€œthe original bulletā€, but we decided to go with the second one. So far itā€™s been like that for about 5 years and this is the first time I hear itā€™s an issue.

If you want to stick with the first one, then press enter at the end of the bullet, in that case it will create an empty on in the next line.

Does that sound like a fair workaround?

Hello Shida,

Thanks for the reply. I always thought that was actually a bug, especially because coming from WorkFlowy a while ago, Iā€™d expect a similar UX, at least for these simple operations like Enter, Tab to indent, Shift-Tab, etcā€¦ And they donā€™t have this same ā€œannoyingā€ behavior, no matter how and when I hit Enter. But itā€™s simply different products and different behaviors. I can totally understand and accept that. Overall, Dynalist is far superior, IMHO. And Iā€™m very satisfied and pleased to use it.

Well, the only issue with your workaround is that it needs some kind of adaptation because itā€™s not so easy sometimes to avoid the bad effect (again, my preference) but I can definitely get myself used to it.

Thanks once again!

Thank you for your understanding! Part of it is just that I donā€™t know how many people prefer the other way around. Iā€™d hypothesize that most people wouldnā€™t see the difference, so we can definitely consider testing out a switch if more people can chime in about this.

1 Like