No monthly blog update since November. Are the team ok?

Sorry about the lack of updates, yes, we’re pretty busy with Obsidian right now. I also had a baby in June 2020 (now almost 8 months!), which is another big time sink.

Now we’re more active on Discord than the forum, just because the Obsidian community is on there. Discord is a lower friction way to reach us, if you’re comfortable with the medium or is already on Discord. (Invite link: Dynalist)

We still monitor the forum though, but now it’s more about bug fixes (see Shida’s activity) than pushing new features.

That’s totally valid, some people pay for the existing service, and some people pay for the updates. If you don’t need the Pro features and are only paying to support us to push new updates, it’s only fair.

Would love that too if we could afford it, but Dynalist is not making us that much money as people might think :grimacing:

Would love to do that whenever it’s easy to do! We have backported a few small things, like tooltips now work much better; they don’t get clipped any more. For anything more fundamental, it’s much harder to do, because Dynalist is 5 years older than Obsidian, which means the entire tech stack is much older (and tech stack is now evolving faster than ever).

I hope the above doesn’t sound like mere excuses.

To be completely honest, Dynalist is my hobby work. Not in the sense that I don’t love it, but in the sense that I had very limited experience when building in 5 years ago (I was still in university and had no experience with production level product design and development before). So although there was love, the skill was not there.

After almost 6 years, a lot of what we lacked started showing – it feels like working on shaky ground sometimes. Not in terms of stability – Dynalist is very well battle tested by now – but in terms of my dissatisfaction with the design decisions we made back then. I also wished we had a beta testing program – any small bug would annoy many people at this stage, which is additional friction of developing new features.

We were also not as good as positioning the product, marketing it, and polishing it 6 years ago, which is partially why Obsidian is more popular than Dynalist although it’s much younger.

Not promising anything, but if I were to bring the current Dynalist up to the level of satisfaction (i.e. Dynalist 2.0), it’s going to be easier to start from scratch than to work on top of the current codebase and product. Some might disagree with this, as it’s a lot of work to completely re-make something from scratch, but that’s my judgement at the moment. We’re so thankful for Dynalist – we learned so much from it, but at the cost that it’s no longer a pleasure to work with, as we have learned from the mistakes we made.

Sorry for the rambling, it’s not very organized. I didn’t make an outline (ha!); most of it is just brain dump.

22 Likes