New Android Gboard behavior: newline at end of line doesn't create a new node

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.

Make sure you have the latest Gboard version, as this just started happening with the latest update on Android. My Gboard version is 9.4.11.312687073-release-arm64-v8a

Place the cursor at the end of the text of a node and tap the blue return button in Gboard.

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

What used to happen, and still happens with the Samsung keyboard, is that a new node would be created subordinate to the current node.

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

What happens now is that a newline gets added to the end of the current node.

Environment

Which operating system are you using?
Android 10 with Samsung One UI 2.0 on a Galaxy S9
Which browser are you using?
Dynalist app version 1.4.5
If youā€™re using a desktop or mobile app, whatā€™s the version number of Dynalist?
Dynalist app version 1.4.5
Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?
No

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

new Gboard behavior
Google Photos

Samsung keyboard behavior
Google Photos

Additional comments

Iā€™ve seen this issue happen a few times on iOS, still havenā€™t figured out why it happens but I bet itā€™s due to the same problem. Restarting the app should fix it, until you can trigger it again.

If you have any idea what exactly leads to this happening (say open search, or something) please let me know since itā€™s been on our watch list for a while!

Unfortunately, restarting the app didnā€™t change anything. Nor did rebooting the phone.

If the app is fully synced, try to uninstall/reinstall, or delete app data & cache. Youā€™ll have to login again, but let me know if that fixes the issue.

Deleting app data & cache didnā€™t help. I see that behavior all the time in every node if it ends with letter. Pressing return in nodes with ., ?, ! or whitespace at the end makes new node as expected.

Oh thatā€™s interesting. So if you press enter when the cursor is right after an alphanumeric character it just goes to the next line in the same bullet?

Can someone test if pressing enter in the middle of an item is broken or not?

When I press enter in the middle of the word then it creates second node. When I press at the end of the word and there is space after that word and more words (simply middle of the sentence), then itā€™s broken.
So yeah, looks like itā€™s creating new line in the same bullet if cursor is after a-z0-9 and only if cursor is at the end of the word. Itā€™s broken also in this scenario: whatever|, so itā€™s stricly about end of a-z0-9.

I just got this to repro. It only seems to happen when GBoard tries to autocorrect the word you typed to something else. In that case, instead of sending an ā€œEnterā€ keypress, GBoard just swaps the word and inserts a newline character. Ughhh thatā€™s quite annoying.

Let me think of something. If anyone has ideas or tips please let me know.

This is definitely a Gboard issue, Thank you for narrowing it down.

Iā€™m using my Samsung keyboard now and itā€™s back to working like normal (Pressing Enter Key creates a New Item).

Note: I have an old account at Workflowy.com and the results are similar using gboard. However when pressing the Enter key, neither a new item nor a newline is created, the cursor just sits there. When adding a Space followed by the Enter key, then a New Item is created.

1 Like

Thanks for the help debugging. Iā€™m guessing that also happens on web browsers since itā€™s a keyboard issue.

Most likely weā€™ll need to add some kind of hack to detect if GBoard is doing that for a fix. Or pray that Google would fix it some day :frowning:

Same issue here (Android + Gboard)

Right now itā€™s almost impossible to add a new item on the mobile app :cry:

Maybe as a workaround, in the mobile toolbar action there is ā€œInsert new lineā€ (which does not help of course), but could you also add the following actions:

• Insert new item below
  • Insert new item above

Because even if the enter key getā€™s fixed, it would still be easier on mobile to use those actions (compared to moving the cursor to the end and pressing enter)

2 Likes