Mobile features: sorting or improved item-moving

Hi,

I love the sorting feature on desktop. It would be awesome to have the sorting feature enabled on mobile devices.

Use Case
Sorting works great for lists, like books or meeting notes sorted by date.

Current Solution
Manual sorting. This is however very cumbersome on mobile. I personally can’t get the hang of drag-and-drop; and hitting the on-screen toolbar option to move one space at a time is painfully slow.

Suggestion
Either one or both of the following would be awesome:

• a ‘sort by’ feature, as per desktop versions
  • faster ‘manual’ sorting e.g.
    • keyboard shortcut
    • option to move x spaces
    • option to hold down up/down toolbar button to continuously re-order the item

I hope I’m not the only one that would love to have some improvements to sorting on mobile :slight_smile:

Cheers

John

4 Likes

In case you are using Android, my app has very easy to use drag and drop features.

2 Likes

Being new to Dynalist, I thought I would record a few suggestions based on how elegent it is to navigate the Cloud Outliner on mobile, before it becomes a distant memory to me (link https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/cloud-outliner-pro/id1018143540):

1. The action around the bullet point is way too crowded, and when you move a node on mobile your finger covers the tool tip, as well as risking zooming in. Since a long touch and hold doesn’t have any action elsewhere on the line, I would suggest allowing the long touch and hold over the whole line not just the bullet, or instead of it. That way you remove the risk of zooming in which gets activated all too easily, can see the tool tip and it’s a much bigger target when you are personally mobile.

2. Also, speed up the selection by make it pure touch and hold rather than a touch and hold … and move (after an indefinite amount of time) to activate the highlight and subsequent movement. This is in fact how CO works.

3. Once activated, it should allow the functionality of moving the bullet purely sideways (right or left) as well as up and down. This is a logically missing function. Moving left may need to relocate it below other former siblings, but you do that already.

4. Add an option to switch the functions of the “bullet” and “+/-” between “zoom in” and “expand / contract” on mobile, just as you have that option in windows. Or make them equivalent and consistent between them with just the one option. At present it doesn’t switch on mobile

5. The normal convention is that touching the top bar on a mobile screen takes you to the top of the page. This doesn’t happen.

Otherwise Absolutely Fabulous !

@Ken_Lewis

+1 for your #5 “go to top”

Wait, sorting is still not on mobile?

I read that one of the reasons for not adding this in mobile is the crowding of the toolbar. Now that the toolbar is fully customizable and even has the “Insert Hashtag” and “Insert at tag” commands, shouldn’t the Sort command be added already as it is arguably more important than those?

3 Likes

Still no way to sort on mobile.
Could we add this please, devs?
(I don’t even know if they’d add new feature one day)