Linux Desktop app crashes trying to allocate GPU resources

Steps to reproduce

  1. Start a Kubuntu LTS desktop (22.04.1 LTS)
  2. Download dynalist.tar.gz
  3. Extract dynalist.tar.gz
  4. cd dynalist-1.0.6
  5. ./dynalist
Logging to  /home/$USER/.config/Dynalist/dynalist/dynalist-2022-11-27-17-42-10.log
Platform: linux
App path is: /home/$USER/Downloads/Tools/dynalist-1.0.6/resources/
Data path is: /home/$USER/.config/Dynalist/dynalist
[App] /home/$USER/Downloads/Tools/dynalist-1.0.6/dynalist
[App] App running, version 1.0.6
[Updater] Checking for updates...
[Updater] https://dynalist.io/standalone/check?platform=linux
[Loader] Trying to load main file from /home/$USER/Downloads/Tools/dynalist-1.0.6/resources/dynalist.asar/main.js
[Loader] Executing main function
Dynalist loading /home/$USER/Downloads/Tools/dynalist-1.0.6/resources/dynalist.asar
/home/$USER/Downloads/Tools/dynalist-1.0.6/resources/dynalist.asar/www/index.html
libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)
[Updater] Downloading package "dynalist" from "https://dynalist.io/standalone/download?file=dynalist-1.5.1.asar.gz"
[39975:1127/174211.187246:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(415)] GPU process isn't usable. Goodbye.
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?

I expect to see the Dynalist application interface start up and remain on the screen for more than 2 seconds.

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

I see the stdout output as listed above, and a Dynalist GUI screen flash onto the screen briefly.

Environment

Which operating system are you using?
Kubuntu Linux, Jammy Jellyfish (22.04.1 LTS)
Linux 5.15.0-53-generic #59-Ubuntu SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux

Which browser are you using?
Not applicable, Dynalist works just fine in my browser.

If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?
1.0.6

Are you using any third-party scripts for Dynalist, e.g. PowerPack?
No.


Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

$ nvidia-smi
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 515.65.01    Driver Version: 515.65.01    CUDA Version: 11.7     |
|-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                               |                      |               MIG M. |
|===============================+======================+======================|
|   0  GeForce RTX 2060M   Off  | 00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A |
| N/A   45C    P8     8W /  N/A |   4031MiB /  6144MiB |      0%      Default |
|                               |                      |                  N/A |
+-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
                                                                               
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                  |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                  GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                   Usage      |
|=============================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A     18746      C   python                           4019MiB |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Additional comments

You could try forcing the discrete GPU vs the integrated GPU and see if that helps https://www.electronjs.org/docs/latest/api/command-line-switches

dynalist --force_high_performance_gpu

dynalist --force_low_power_gpu

Do you get this problem with Chrome or other Electron apps such as https://code.visualstudio.com/?

I was having the exact same problem as the original poster. I’m running a fresh install of Linux Mint 21.1. Though I was able to get Dynalist working initially, it stopped working. I’m fairly sure the issue is related to switching to the “nvidia-driver-530” driver from the default “xserver-xorg-video-neuveau” driver. (I’ve had issues with Nvidea drivers before on Linux.) Though I did not revert the driver change to confirm this theory, I did stumble on the following option which caused the issue to go away:

dynalist --disable-gpu-sandbox

Everything seems to work fine now.

(BTW, I tried the suggestions above, but still encountered the error. Also Visual Studio Code works fine. No issues there.)