Is there a Keyboard Shortcut for going Back/Forward WITHIN a document? 🤔

Hey guys and gals,

As title—is there such a shortcut?

I know there’s back and forth commands for jumping between documents, but some individual documents (like mine) are heavily nested—so going back and forth between bullets/breadcrumbs and documents would be super helpful

Are you on web or desktop?

On web you would use the browser default shortcut to go back and forward. On desktop it’s Alt+Left/Right.

Of course I’m assuming you want to navigate to where you were before, not to zoom out or in.

Hey Erica!

I’m using the mac desktop app. :raised_hands:t4:

Hmmm, this doesn’t work for me. :thinking:

To confirm, this is navigation within a single document? i.e. 5-6 levels deep

On Mac please try Cmd+Left/Right. macOS system uses Alt+Left/Right for something important (switching spaces maybe? I don’t remember exactly what), and we couldn’t override that.

It will go back one step in history. If you zoomed in, it will zoom back. Just like a browser. Not sure if that’s what you wanted?

Cmd+Left/Right will move cursor to the beginning/end of line

For long documents, I use ctrl + [ and ctrl + ] to go back and forth between nodes.

So cmd + [ and cmd + ] ?

Does it work when you’re not editing any line?

Not editing a line does nothing (for me).

Editing a line CMD+Left/Right moves a node up/down for me lol, like dragging a row in an excel table up and down.

This is all using the desktop mac app btw.

not editing a line = yes, it jumps between nodes.

Hmm weird, you and @errno seem to see different things when using that shortcut while NOT editing a line.

I do not know how this works.
The buttons on the top left go back and forward in the history like in the browser. Alt+arrows zoom in and out.

Hovering these buttons it says alt+arrow, but this is only true for chrome and firefox isn’t it?

These arrows only appear on the desktop apps – not sure what you mean by “chrome and firefox”?

@Erica Yep, in my understanding the arrow keys in the desktop apps are like the back/forward buttons in the browser.

Hovering them says that the shortcut is alt+arrow keys. But that’s wrong. That shortcut is going back in the hierarchy and not in history.

Am I missing something here?

Hey @Erica and @Shida , I am still wondering if it’s only me getting this wrong. Maybe this is an “easy fix”, could you look into that?
Thanks!

I just tried it on Windows 10 and it works exactly like a browser back/forward. Only possibilities I can think of in your case is if you override the zoom in/out shortcuts with those instead of the default ones.

Did you use alt+arrows for that?

Alt + Arrow on the desktop app does exactly what history back/forward does on the browser for me. Defaults for zoom in/out is Ctrl + [ and Ctrl + ]

1 Like

Okay now I understand something.
In the web app the default binds for me are:

In the desktop app (which I mostly use) they are:

And I see no entry in the keymap where I can bind shortcuts for going forward and backward in history. (Browser back and forwards buttons)

Edit:
I rebound zoom in/out and now alt+arrows are going back and forward in history.

Yeah I believe there’s currently no way to set those shortcuts because they are controlled by the Electron app portion, and it’s a bit more difficult to change because they reside in the menubar (press alt once to show menubar).

2 Likes

Problem solved, thank you!

1 Like